1997 Ford Explorer XLT 130000 mi.

BIG MIKE
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
Wont start. No fire to plugs. Checked fuses and wires. No engine light on or coming on. Where should I go next?
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 1:34 PM

LOSONE
It sounds like the ignition module. Do you have the COP system?
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 1:40 PM
BIG MIKE
Not sure. COP system?
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 1:47 PM
LOSONE
Coil on plug. Each plug has it's own coil on top of the plug
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 2:23 PM
BIG MIKE
No, it does not have COP. Do you still think ignition module?
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 5:25 AM
LOSONE
It is the most common spark failure on Fords. I am not there to do some pin out testing but if all fuses are good and you have injector pulse then the module is your best bet. Good luck
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 7:46 AM
BIG MIKE
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I have injector pulse so I will go with ignition module and see what happens. I appreciate your time on this. Thank You

Mike B.
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 2:10 PM
BIG MIKE
Lee, I'm being told that there is no ignition module for this year and that Ford stopped using these mid 90's. A dealer told this to me. Is he right and now where do I look?
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 2:20 PM
LOSONE
He is right. CRS came upon me as the 97 is a stand alone system. It is EECV computer. Is it a V-6 or V-8?

The signal is developed in the crank and cam sensors and sent to the ECM. It in turn processes a signal to the coil packs to fire the coil packs and on to the right spark plugs. Have you tried to get the computer codes to see if you have set one. From my info the crank sensor is the highest failure item. Sorry for the confusion. Let me know
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 3:30 PM
LOSONE
I have found a picture of the Ford computer that shows which chip is the DIS controller in the EECV computer. Both V6 and V8 use the same system.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:7BquIThITjAJ:home.triad.rr.com/n5xmt/v8_eec_v.html+1997+ford+explorer+ignition+dis&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9
Monday, May 15th, 2006 AT 3:33 PM
BIG MIKE
SUCCESS! The crank sensor is what caused the problem. You have to be a contortionist to get it, but other than that it was fairly simple. $17.59 for the part versus big money for a computer! Thanks so much for your help. This is a kick ass web site!
Friday, May 19th, 2006 AT 7:47 AM