1997 Ford Explorer Reverse and Neutral issue

MASTERK
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 97 explorer that drives perfectly fine in all forward gears but refuses to go in reverse. Initially I thought in was an internal transmission problem but now think it may be linkage. I recently noticed that it also won't move forward or backward while in neutral with the engine running or not. Yet it stills drives forward. Also the shifter needle nevers quite points to the gear I put it in. It's more like in between. Anyone have experience with this or suggestions.
Saturday, January 5th, 2008 AT 4:09 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

You best get your mechanic to inspect the linkage adjustment. But I feel it may be a transmission problem, as normally when the adjustment is out, and you select through the gears you will normally still be able to pick up all the gears, (feel it engage as you shift through) have the adjustments check first as a precaution, as you don't want them removing the box for no reason.

Saturday, January 5th, 2008 AT 4:39 PM