1997 Ford Explorer QUIT STARTING

TELLICO
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 97 ford explorer 4.0 185,000 Vin code E overhead cam version engine was replaced at 100,000 on a recall by Ford brand new bullet. Drove it down to get mail Monday came back parked now it won't start. Fuel is at half a tank, on level ground,
have pressure at the schrader valve, sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body won't fire. Replaced the coil still won't fire. Checked 25 amp fuse 19 in side panel and 60 amp ignition fuse in box under hood on drivers side. Both are good. Battery at 12.2 volts and harness coming to coil has 11.9 volts on posts 1 and 4 with the key on but nothing in 2 and 3. Pulled a wire off of the coil and does not seem to be getting any fire. Replaced fuel filter about a year ago when similar problem arose but I got it to fire with the starter fluid then. All other accessories work. Lights blinkers cdplayer power windows door wipers blower motor ac. So I don't know if it could be computer related. Unless the signal coming to the coil is messed up. Any help would be most appreciated. Or I may have overlooked another fuse somewhere or something up on the intake. Replaced the thermostat about three weeks ago and had the top plastic cover off of the throttle body assy but dont know of any other things I could have left unplugged under there. Not that much to unhook to replace the thermostat. Thanks Jeff
Wednesday, April 18th, 2007 AT 3:14 PM

BHUGG
You didn't say if you are getting a spark. If no spark, then try replacing the PCM power relay. It is next to fuse #19. You should be able to switch the relay with another relay in the box. I have had 2 of these relays fail in my Explorer.

Good luck
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 1:47 AM
TELLICO
Yes you were correct I am not getting any spark will try your suggestion then post back. Thanks Jeff
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 6:45 AM
TELLICO
SWAPPED THE A/C - FUEL PUMP - PCM RELAYS WITH EACH OTHER STILL NO SPARK. WONDER IF IT COULD BE THE PCM DIODE RIGHT BESIDE IT?

THE FUSE 19 I CHECKED WAS INSIDE THE DRIVERS DOOR PANEL ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DASH 25 AMP FOR IGNITION CIRCUIT FUSE WAS FINE AND THE 60 AMP UNDER THE COVER WHERE THE THREE PCM'S ARE WAS ALSO OK
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 7:16 AM
TELLICO
Pulled top cover off of throttle body. Nothing up there seems to be unhooked so that would just about eliminate that question checked everything around the map sensor tubes hoses electrical connections they all seem fine. Alternator wires are fine and tight.

Some times all a guy needs to totally fix a problem is a well placed grenade. Haha. Not there yet, but it is paid for. Jeff
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 7:19 AM
MERLIN2021
If it turns over but no start and no spark. Is the Batt wire on the coil live? If not try a jumper wire to pos post. If it runs the ignition switch is faulty.
Thursday, April 19th, 2007 AT 4:24 PM
TELLICO
Tried everything mentioned. Even checked fuel pump reset switch up under passengers side kick panel. No reset needed. Unhooked the positive wire on the battery for an hour to see if the thing might reset and clear the bug. Still no luck. Have no idea what this could be. About ready to start piecing it out. If I can't get it to fire soon. Anybody got any other ideas./?Thanks Jeff
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 9:56 AM
MERLIN2021
Camshaft position sensor. Crankshaft sensor
Monday, April 23rd, 2007 AT 10:01 AM