1997 Ford Explorer intermittent slipping from stop

JIMJTURNER
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
My explorer transmission sometimes seems to slip in starting up from a standstill. It does not do it often, and moving the shift lever to 2 causes it to respond immediately. What could be causing this?
I have checked fluid level ( I believe my wife slightly overfilled it at some point but do not know if this was before the problem started, and yes it really was my wife!).
The fluid does not seem to be 'burnt' but has not been changed since I bought it at 112,000 miles.
I was trying to sell the vehicle but with this problem do not want to pass it on as is.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 3:15 PM

JAMES W.
With almost 170K on the transmission, it may be the pressure regulator in the trans. At an idle, with low engine rpms, it may lose just aenough pressure to allow the low clutch to slip a little. A simple pressure test will confirm this. Also, it's probably due for a filter change anyway. Hope this helps.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM
JIMJTURNER
I am wondering why this would be an intermittent problem. Subsequent full throttle starts did not produce the slipping.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 8:58 PM
JAMES W.
A full throttle start from a stop will increase trans pressure faster than a gradual start. Keep in mind, a problem with low regulator pressure is just a theory. It may be a worn low clutch pack or piston seal. The only way we will know is with a pressure test.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 4:18 PM
JIMJTURNER
Still not sure why it would be intermittent. The problem does not occur under low throttle starts except once every week or two. Normal driving the past several days did not cause the problem even once.

I have had it checked for OBD codes and there are none. I am still as confused as when I started.

Thanks.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 7:50 PM
JAMES W.
You may want to consider a fluid/filter change with the mileage you have. Also, what in laying in the bottom of the trans can be a valuable clue as to what's going on in the tranny. Fine brass shavings, small black particles or sediment can tell a lot. This may also be, being it's intermittent, one of those "wait and see" deals after the filter is changed. Let me know.
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 7:19 PM