1997 Ford Explorer Engine Miss at Idle and acceleration (Is

MAP1995
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
I have 1997 ford explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC V6. Its drive is not smooth. It sounds like, there is a leak in the muffler or catalytic converter (CC). Engine miss at idle, acceleration and car's power is not as it should be for V6.

Shown to local workshop and they suggested to replace the Catalytic converter, both left and right.

Can some one guide what can be the problem. And from where can I get the cheapest CC.
Can we clean the existing CC.

recently changed all spark plugs and cables, changed oil and all filters GAS, AIr, and oil. But problem is still there.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 10:58 AM

MAP1995
Today changed the catalytic converter, leak sound is gone but missing is still there. Checked the error codes, two codes are coming 171 and 174, when checked from Autozone. They recommended to put injector cleaner. I have added the full bottle in the GAS tank.

Kindly let me know what is the meaning of these codes and what actions can be done to remove the missing of engine or these codes.
Saturday, August 29th, 2009 AT 4:58 PM