1997 Ford Explorer Compressor

DIXON7341
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
Just had the a/c compressor replaced (old one seized)
however on the drive home the following happened:

Blow cool (not icy cold) when vehicle is stop & idling. When you acceleralate it blows hot air. The garage that repaird is closed for this week(vacation) and I want to have information ready when I take vehicle back.
They told me the "Doors" were slow to react but I don't think that should be the problem. Just spent $800 and still not working. Help
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 11:36 AM

JGAROFALO
There are several possibilities:

1) Air in the system. Air is a non-condensible gas. That is, it cannot be compressed and cooled to a liquid at the pressures available in an A/C system. As a result, it stays in gas form, and does not function as a refrigerant.

2) insufficient charge. Not enough refrigerant in the system will cause the low side pressure to go below limit, and turn off the compressor.

3) Overcharge. In this case, the refrigerant remains in a liquid state as it passes thruogh the evaporator. Result is no cooling.

4) Too much oil in the system. This causes the same problem as overcharge. The oil is a liquid, and remains as a liquid throughout the system.

Sorry that my explanation is so technical, butI could tell more if I could see gauge readings and temperature readings at the vehicle. I hope that this is at least of some help to you.
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 4:11 PM