1997 Ford Explorer

MADCOWS45
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
1997 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

i hv just bought a 97 expl'. Very cheap from dealer trade in. But it was a repo no keys ok'" had a key made from off the door it cranks the engine over but dont start all other components work you hear it click no fire to plugs is it a ecm problem or a key chip problem I dont want to put a lot of money in it yet ; it might hv bad motor ; cant find out till I get spark can you help please dean
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 9:30 AM

JGAROFALO
You can start by checking the basics. Check for spark while cranking. Check for fuel pressure. This will narrow down the problem to a more specific area.

If you suspect a key chip problem, you can take the VIN to a Ford dealer, and they can tell you if this vehicle uses a transponder key. If so, they can also look up the codes and cut and program a new key for you.

If you find that you only need an ordinary key, then it is back to the basics. Let me know what you find, and I can point you in a direction that will help you to solve the problem.
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM
MADCOWS45
Ok thnks im at work today body shop 'i unscrewed the column an removed the swithch we had another column with a factory key in it it fits but is thier someother thing have to do or a way to buy pass it on the column we bought for a truck we didnt use has a tag with 8 numbers on it that is atached to key from the salvage yard '''' does it have to be programed in the ecm?/
Sunday, March 15th, 2009 AT 11:43 AM
JGAROFALO
IF the car needs a transponder key, you can have it programmed at a dealer. Unfortunately, the machine need to program "chip keys" is expensive, so not many places have them.

First, be sure of what you need. If the car takes an ordinary key, and not a "chip key", then your problem is in the ingition or fuel circuits.
Monday, March 16th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM