1996 Ford Explorer Won't stay running

• 1 POST

1996 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 150404 miles

My car was runnig rough about 4 months ago, so my husband took it down and got it scanned, my check engine light had been on for a few weeks. The scan told us that the #4 cylinder wasn't firering so he replaced all of the plugs and plug wires, that fixed that problem but another one popped up. The radiator was losing water and overheating, so we thought I had a blown head gasket, so we tore apart the engine and replaced the drivers side head gasket and for good measure while we were in there we replaced the water pump and thermostat. That fixed that problem but guess what? Another one popped up. The car wouldnt stay running at an idle, and the check engin light came back on. We replaced the throddle positioning sensor hoping that was it but it wasn't. We took it down and had it scaned again and it said Oxygen sensors on the right and left bank, so we replaced those. But it didn't fix the problem either. Check engine light came back on and read the EGR valve so we replaced that, no dice. Check engine light came back on and still scans saying EGR valve so we replace it again. Still the same problem. I was told that the catylatic converter could be clogged, so we replaced that. Still my car won't stay running at an idle when it is cold. After it has warmed up it will stay running just fine but I can't afford the gas to sit in my car with the gas pedal pressed to keep it running for the 15 min it takes to completly warm up. We have tried every thing PLEASE help.

Thursday, May 1st, 2008 AT 8:23 PM

• 263 POSTS

Idle control valve

Friday, May 2nd, 2008 AT 12:07 PM