1996 Ford Explorer Doesn't always start

TAC 96
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
1996 Ford Explorer Four Wheel Drive Automatic 225689 miles

It has around 225689.I don't usually have a problem starting it in the mornings but I have gotten to work and needed to move it and it wouldn't start back up. I only drive it about 4 miles to work.3 of which are on the expressway.
My husband put a screwdriver to the spark plug and someone turn it over and said it wasn't getting any fire. I've had someone tell me they thought it was my control module. Well it's not sitting in the parking lot at work where I shut it off at 6:00am this morning. My husband tried to star it again a few minutes ago and it still wouldn't start and it is mow 12:35am.
It has never been this long before so I'm guessing whatever it is seems to have gone out completely. Hate to start replacing parts that don't need to be. Any suggestions on where to start and how to go about it? Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You
Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 11:42 PM

Hi TAC 96, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation.

For what engine 4.0 or 5.0 liter?

No ignition spark: Inspect and test the following, coil packs, ignition control module and crankshaft position sensor
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 2:33 AM
TAC 96
You ask me what size engine. It is a 4.0 liter
My check engine light has been on for several years.I was told that was a sensor that went out and that it would hurt anything just pay closer attention to everything. Which I always do. Like ANY new or different type of noise. I could afford to replace it at the time and it was unfortunately kinda forgotten about.
Are those things you said to ckeck hard to get to? Do you know if auto parts store can test them or would they need to be taken to a Ford dealer?
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 3:03 AM
Try the crankshaft position sensor 1st which is located centered in lower front of engine compartment

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cps_48.jpg

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 3:16 AM
TAC 96
Thank you we will check it first. Will I need any special tools to remove the crankshaft sensor or the other two that you recommended checking. Do auto part stores test them for you or will I need to take it to a Ford dealer to have it tested? Sorry to be such a pain but I'm asking all these questions in case I'm left to take care of the problem on my own. Which if he has trouble getting it figured out and gets aggregated and fed up (which won't take much, he's already sick of dealing with it!) I will have to do this myself and I'm no machanic nor can I afford a machanic. These are the reason I ask so many detailed questions. I just want to be able to fix my explorer which I love. Thank you soooo very much for your time and definately for your patience with me. You are GREATLY appreciated!
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 3:44 AM
It depends on the auto part store if they have the right testing equipment won't hurt to try. Use a digital multimeter to check/test the crankshaft position sensor voltage/resistances as for the coil and ICM you can bring it in

Testing the CPS:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&t=482055&sid=b3ada8c88fa2d9c62c4c5514168f6517
Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 1:29 PM