1996 Ford Explorer

SJERROLL
  • 1996 FORD EXPLORER
Hello I have a 1996 ford explorer xlt. The truck needed front brakes so I brought some front brake pads and let my friend put them on. My friend puts on the pads backwards and messed up my brake caliper on the passenger side. So I replaced the caliper and now the brake pedal is going all the way to the floor and the truck is still not slowing down. Another mechanically inclined person in my neighborhood looked at the brake lines and started bleeding the fronts brakes. That still didn't help. Now no fluid is coming out the lines. Could the master cylinder be bad? Please help me out. Asap. Thanks. Ps, my name is jerroll.
Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 9:56 PM

RICKMAR
Hi jerroll;
Sorry to read about your brake problems.

All you need to do is bleed your brakes. What that means is , you will be getting rid of any "AIR" that is in your brake lines. After any air has been removed you will have brake lines filled with pure (DOT 3) brake fluid. Bleeding is just removing any air that are in the brake lines.- Easy to do.

Get some DOT 3 brake fluid.
Fill the master cylinder pictured below to the "MAX" line indicator on the side with DOT 3 brake fluid'
The master cylinder is located on the drivers side under the hood, right near the fire wall and fender. It looks like this:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_master_cylinder_1.jpg

You will need "someone" to push several times on the brake pedal and hold it to the floor. It is called "Pumping the Brakes".

Now "you" or someone needs to release any air that are in the brake lines. This is done by slightly and slowly loosening "BRAKE LINE BLEEDER" pictured in the image below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/433905_Brake_bleeder_copy_1.jpg[/img]

You want to slightly loosen that "BRAKE BLEEDER" releasing all the air. Tighten the bleeder and have the brake pedal pumped again and held down completely as far as it will go. Loosen the bleeder again and release any air that is in the brake line. Have the brake pedal pumped again and held down as far as it will go loosen and then tighten the bleeder. Do the same as many times as you need until pure brake fluid and brake fluid "only" flows out of the small hole on top- you can see it in the image.
Once fluid and fluid only is flowing out tighten the "BRAKE BLEEDER". Do the same on the other side front. After any air is removed from your brake lines you will have solid brake fluid in the brake lines. The brake pedal should not travel very far for the brakes to start working properly. When you apply the brakes the pedal should be nice and solid.
That's it - you are all set.

Be safe working under your explorer.
Make sure it is being supported very securely.
"Do Not" take any chances, there is no room for any "instant rewind's" ...if something goes wrong under there you or someone else could get seriously injured.
Good Luck;
Any questions just get back to me.
Rick
Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 11:48 PM