1995 Ford Explorer Overdrive

ROBERTWILEYJR
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135k miles

my overdrive light keep blinking on my 95 explorer, it wont shut of, I disconnect the negative cable and it stay of for five minute, what do I need to do to repair this problem. Also here are the scan code 646 on 1 & 2 Gear and 647 for third gear, what do these code mean?
Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 8:37 AM

RACEFAN966
Well with everything that I can find it could be the overdrive button or the torque converter is also a very common problem. What I need you to do is see if you can the trouble codes from the transmission. What you need is a paper clip and a test light to get codes. Use the pic below to hook up. The top pic is what to use. Hook the test light up how they show the meter hooked up. Now they show a jumper wire from the self test input (single small connecto) to the signal return on the larger test connector that is where you put the paper clip so that they are connected. Now turn key on engine off and the test light will start to blink. It will blink once short pause then blink twice and longer pause then it will go to the next code. This is a code a 12 it means it is going into self test mode. Now with the rest of the blinks just count them in the same way get back to me on what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_83.jpg

+1
Saturday, May 30th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
ROBERTWILEYJR
Here are the scan code 646 on 1 & 2 Gear and 647 for third gear, what do these code mean?
Monday, June 1st, 2009 AT 5:45 PM
RACEFAN966
These codes are indicating a transmission problem. Now there is a couple of tests for you to perform if you like. One is a drive test that you can do and then pull the codes again to see what is still present.
The other is a pin test. I say clear the codes and then do the drive test and see what codes come back. Here is how the drive test is to be done ok.
First warm the engine up to normal operating temp. Ensure that the transmission is full. Now put the truck into into drive and press the O/D switch to turn off overdrive. Your light should be on. Now get up to 40mph and hold it there for 15 sec (30 seconds if you are 4000 ft elevation or more). Now push the O/D button to go into overdrive and accel to 50 mph and hold for 15 sec (30 if above 4000 ft). Now while maintaining your speed use your other foot and light press on the brake pedal (just enough to make the lights come on) now maintain 50mph for another 5 secs. Now bring the truck to a stop for 20 seconds while keeping it in drive (like you are at a stoplight for 20 seconds). This driving cycle need to be done 5 times then we need to see what codes come back. If the codes come back then you will need to have a digital multi meter so we can do some pin tests at the transmission wire harness ok. Let me know how it goes.
+1
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 9:39 AM
MIKEYG79
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
The overdrive light started flashing the other day. Had them check at Jiffy Lube but they said it was a sealed trans and had to go to the dealer. They did give me the computer code which said it was some kind of pressure solenoid B. I assume that is in the transmission. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow to diagnose it.

The manual says that when this light flashes have the transmission serviced, which does not seem so bad but over the phone the service guy sure made it sound likely to be huge.

The service guy on the phone started telling me how much it is for a new transmission--$4000. This is making me uneasy. Does replacing the solenoid usually take care of it or is it more likely that the transmission need replacement for this car?
I don't have the $$ for a new one.
Can you give me any insight?
Mike Guay
Sunday, August 4th, 2019 AT 12:04 PM (Merged)
KEN
Yes the trouble code is what you should go after first. The solenoids go out all the time and are not that bad to change. You will need to jack the car up safely to do the repair. Here is a guide for that.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Then you will need to drop the pan.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Also check the connection at the transmission plug for corrosion. Here are some guides for the job. To refill the transmission you basically pump fluid in from the bottom and let the excess run out.

Please let us know what happens and upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
CAMILO CB
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
I noted that my auto trans has a delay on the shifts. I press on gas and does not respond according. The engine rpm increases and the gears delay to engage. So, I have to depress the pedal and then it engages. Also the OD light starts blinking. Sometimes, it works perfect. What should I do?
I was thinking of changing the trans fulid and filter.

Do you have the procedure to change the trans fluid? I would appreciate to have it has well.
+1
Have you had the computer scanned?
+2
CAMILO CB
Not, yet. The Service Engine Soon Light is on but I did not have a chance to retrieve the code as I had to leave home couple of days after that to work. I'll do that when I get home. Will be the first thing to do before touching anything. I hope is not serious.
+1
Let me know what you find when you have the chance.
CAMILO CB
I will let you know when I get the codes.

Thanks.
Glad to help.
DEBORAHBRYAN
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
My overdrive light comes on and blinks off and on when I sometiimes round a curve or when I am speeding up. I have to turn the engine off then back on to stop it from blinking. Transmission does not shift right when it is doing this. What could cause this or is my transmission bad or is it a sensor
First, if it happens when turning, make sure the fluid is clean and full. As far as your question, what does the trans do when the light is flashing? Also, when it is doing this, you need to have the computer scanned to identify what is causing the problem.

Let me know what happens when it lights.

-1
LINZLIBRA12000
I have an '02 exlorer and mine does the same thing I have no idea why though I will be watching your question hopefully WE can get and answer
DEBORAHBRYAN
Changed transmission fluid recently when the light comes on and flashes the trans does not want to shift correctly it kind of jumps into next gear but when it doesnt come on my trans shifts just fine
+1
Honestly, it could be several things causing a delayed shift. If the light is flashing, the computer needs scanned to determine where the problem is coming from.
If I had to guess, I would say you have a bad shift solenoid which is causing the problem. My best recommendation is to have the computer scanned when the light is flashing. That way you will know exactly where the problem is coming from rather than a guess from me. I don't like to give information without being sure.

Try that and let me know what you find.

CAMILO CB
I've retrieved the code and it's: P0747 (Pressure Control Solenoid A).

Now I do have another problem: After been driving like that for couple of days after experiencing shift delays, the car won't go on reverse. I tried and it went with difficulties. I parked the car and quit driving it. Also re-scanned to see if there's a new code and just says the only code which is P0747.

Is it serious?
DEBORAHBRYAN
Thank you I will
CAMILO CB
Ok. The code is P0747. My idea was to change the trans fluid 7 filter before that. Now I need help on what I have to do. Where is the Pressure Solnoid A located. Just replace this solenoid or it's better to replace all at once if they're in one block/pack.