1995 Ford Explorer odometer not working

CJJFLA
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
The odometer on my 1995 explorer has stopped working. The speedometer still works fine. The dealer says they can replace the odometer for about $600(not going to happen!)Internet research has indicated there is a small gear in the odomter that has probably broken and can be replaced. Questions.1)does this sound like it may be the problem and if so is it much of a job to replace these gears.2)does the dash have to be removed and is that much of a job?
Friday, February 8th, 2008 AT 8:14 AM

MERLIN2021
I sent some info your way via email.
-2
Friday, February 8th, 2008 AT 9:11 AM
LUKE920
Anyone can teach me how to fix the odometer of my 95 ford explorer, 2 WD, 139000mile, Please!

Just two days ago, I went to a transmission store since the 'overdrive' light flashing. They opened the hood and pulled out a cable connector then plugged in with their computer/meter to check the error codes. It seemed that they reset my truck's computer. Then my 'overdrive' light turned off. I drove away and found the odometer doesn't work anymore! I went back to them, thery told me they had nothing done with my odometer. Any suggestion?

Thank you very much!
-1
Tuesday, August 12th, 2008 AT 5:27 PM