1995 Ford Explorer Intermittent - Will start and idle, but

A_JUNK_ONE
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
From time to time, my explorer not respond to me pushing the accelerator. It can happen while going down the road or just when it starts up. It does not do it all the time. It usually takes two or three turn off the ignition and restart times to get it to accelerate. The issue happens either when it is in gear or not. I have replaced the fuel pump and the throttle position sensor to date, but the problem still happens. It is very intermittent, but bad because I can't trust it on the road. No trouble codes in the computer. No check engine light. Fuel pressure 31 psi at test port.
Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 11:48 PM

I'm seeing 35 to 45psi as normal fuel pressure.
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 12:29 AM
A_JUNK_ONE
How does the answer resolve the issue? If the fuel pressure is not enough, why will the engine usually run fine? Are we looking at a fuel pressure regulator issue? Fuel filter? Why is it only happening from time to time?
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 9:09 PM
I'm thinking the lower pressure may be going even lower at times. Yes, it could be the regulator, fuel pump.

Have you checked them?
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 12:43 AM
A_JUNK_ONE
The pump is new. How do you test the regulator?
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 10:43 AM
Here is a how to video that explaines how to check fuel pump pressure. Watch it. It will show how to check the regulator too. It is really easy to do.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 11:56 PM
A_JUNK_ONE
Thanks for all the help. I found the problem. The last time, I had the explorer inspected, they offered an oil change and air filter deal that was pretty good. Somehow, the tech messed up the air cleaner box so that if it shifted a certain way, it stopped the air coming through the intake. Idling there was enough air. As soon as the revs came up, there would not be enough air coming through. I found it when it happened one time and you could see the air intake line flexing like a vacuum cleaner hose does when you stop up the end.
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 9:42 PM
I'm glad you got if fixed. That is something I never would have considered without being there. God knows how he screwed that up, but anything can happen. So much for that great deal on an oil change (LOL).

My sister-in-law took advantage of a 19.99 oil and lube special at a place I can't mention. (Very well known nationally) She save a few dollars on the oil change, but they quoted her 600.00 for brake repairs. I fixed them for 30 bucks.

Buyer Beware.

Take care and let us know if you have questions in the future.

Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 11:08 PM