FAILS INTERMITTENTLY TO START HOT

1995 Ford Explorer

Jim Engelkes

July, 2, 2008 AT 1:17 PM

1995 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

Beginning about 4 months ago my Explorer began failing to start after being driven into town to do errands, it would crank and wheeze a little but not catch, after a wait of 5 to fifteen minutes it will start and I drive it home, on two occasions it would not start the next morning either but would eventually start that day or the next, doesn't happen every time, very intermittent. The last time I started it warm (it had been sitting about an hour) it took a moment to catch, emitted a small pop sound and the smell of gas, it hasn't done that before. My Mechanic has not been able to diagnose it because it won't fail when I take it in and as he says, " I don't want to throw parts at it". He has checked the fuel pump thoroughly. Any ideas?

merlin2021

July, 2, 2008 AT 2:36 PM

If you heard a " pop" replace the idle air control valve, you had a small backfire, and it's been ruined by that, but was already underperforming, have the mechanic check the EGR and vacuum leaks.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test