1995 Ford Explorer brake light on dash

ABARRY888
  • 1995 FORD EXPLORER
I changed out all the brakes. Shoes, cylinders and pads. I still have a light that says "BRAKES" CAN I GET THE LIGT TO GO OFF? THANKS JAMES
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 8:28 AM

James:
Hi. Have you checked the basic things like the park brake switch, brake fluid level, level switch?
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:07 PM
ABARRY888
Hello.A couple of things. First. It's a 92 ford explorer and it's the "REAR ANTI-LOCK". LIGHT THANKS JAMES
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:36 PM
Have you checked the wiring to the sensor?
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:43 PM
ABARRY888
Where is the sensor? And do you know about the neutral safty switch? Truck won't start with key, I have changed the key, the elec. Switch. I checked what I think is the safty switch. 3 wires going to plug on trans. All 3 wires show hot, key on or off, park or reverse
Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 7:47 PM
Based on what I could find, you must only have rear ABS. THe sensor is on the differential.

As far as the neutral safety switch, here is a picture of it. Let me know if it is what you are looking at. If it is, there should be power in from one wire, the other two should have power out only when in park or neutral. One is for starting, the other is for the back-up lights.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_5_9.jpg

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 10:56 PM
ABARRY888
Hello.I find power in, other 2 hot in park, put in drive and the 2 are still hot, . Thank you very much for your help. James

found a sensor on the dif. But seems to have nothing to do with brake lines? Just mounts on top of dif. And seems to go inside it? Thanks
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 7:47 AM
The switch you found in the differential is for the ABS. Make sure the wires are clean and making good contact. If they are, replace the switch.

As far as the neutral safety switch, it sounds bad too.
Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 11:39 PM
ABARRY888
Well. Turns out the switch has 4 prongs. And is not the problem? Bought new one, pluged it in and held it to the trans. No luck? Gonna take it to a mechanic. Thanks again for your help.
Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 8:02 PM
James, Let me know what you find.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 12:04 AM
ABARRY888
Well turns out they say the colum shifter is just worn out, when ever I would put in gear I would have to readjust the lever a couple times to get it in gear. Thanks
Sunday, July 4th, 2010 AT 7:31 AM
I'm glad you found the problem. I have to be honest, that isn't a common problem. Regardless, if it is fixed, that is all that matters.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Sunday, July 4th, 2010 AT 10:32 PM