1994 Ford Explorer Won't start

MRPETE
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
The car will turn over but not start. I replaced the battery yesterday, it started up right away. Went to start today and the car will turn over but not start. I do not here any power going to the fuel pump when the key is turned. I replaced the fuel relay and the eec power relay and still the same problem exists. Any thoughts
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 4:04 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Remove the coil wire from the coil and crank it over and see if it sparks. If ok then reattach and check at the spark plug end. Get back to us
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 4:06 PM
MRPETE
On this car is the coil where the spark plug wires plug into, the box looking thing?
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 4:57 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 5:06 PM
MRPETE
Is there any other way to check this I am by myself? Can I remove it and have it checked at local auto parts store? Would this have any effect on the fuel pump not getting power?
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 5:41 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
No it cant be tested off the vehicle. When you turn the key to run does the check engine light illuminate? Have you tried spraying starter fluid into intake to see if it will start?
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 5:45 PM
MRPETE
The check engine light dosen't come on. I did get someone to help me, as far as I could tell there was no spark at the coil, I tried several times and with different plug wires?
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 5:56 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Recheck your battery connections and fuse box under hood, I think we have a electrical problem. Maybe a connector got loose when you replaced the battery.
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 6:29 PM
MRPETE
Let me ask you this, when I replaced the battery I replaced the neg cable conector, the old one was cracked almost all the way thru. I replaced the conector with a universal one- all I did was strip the four wires and clamp them all together, I rechecked them today thinking that may have been the problem, then as I stated earlier I replaced the fuel relay and the eec power relay. I had these symptoms years earlier when you the car wouldn't start and what was happening was the fuel pump wasn't getting power, when I turn on the key usually you hear the pump make a noise, I do not hear that noise at this time. The car turns over with no problem, just seems to not be getting fuel?
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 6:42 PM
MRPETE
I fpund the problem, it was a conector that wasn't plugged in all the way. Thanks for your help
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 7:01 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Good job mrpete
Sunday, March 16th, 2008 AT 7:19 PM
RKCLMBR_66
What connector was partially connected? Where was it located? I have a similar problem. If fuel pump runs 3 sec, will start, if not, no start. Very intermittant.
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
On the ground able there is a connector going from the smaller wire. If the connection is not good and clean then it will cause many intermittent problems. Yuo can cut out connector and wire in a splice connector and eliminate the connector
Monday, February 9th, 2009 AT 4:00 PM

Related Engine Not Starting Content