1994 Ford Explorer The truck decides when and where it want

DMUNKEY
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
My Explorer has been leaving me stranded sparatically for the last month. Sometimes I'll get in my truck and go to start it (after it's been sitting for less than 2 or 3 hrs.) And I won't hear the fuel pump prime up, and sure enough when I turn the key the engine turns but doesn't fire up. If I let the truck sit for an extended amount of time, like overnight and come back to it, it's like nothing was ever wrong. Truck starts up and goes with no trouble.
It was suggested to me to change out the fuel pump, so I did. I drove the Explorer that night and the rest of the next morning with no issues. But after stopping at a friends house for about 20 min I went to to start it and had the same problem. The Ford "Battery" light comes on when the truck won't start, I had both the battery and alternator checked, they came up fine, and I changed out the fuel pump relay just to be on the safe side. Still have the issue.
The Explorer let's me get to work in the morning, and as long as I don't go anywhere for lunch and leave it parked in a shade spot, it'll let me go home to. For that I am thankful, but I would like to be able to go to more than one stop on some trips.
Any help would be appreciated.
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 1:19 PM

Check the ignition switch
Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 4:52 AM