1994 Ford Explorer Ford Explorer won't start

RED-I
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
Well there was recently floods here in florida and I drove through some everything seemed fine but just recently my truck is having problems starting. Sometimes it will start first time other times it takes 10-20 turns of the key the battery is fine and I don't understand it. It varys on how long it takes to start I was thinking maybe the spark plugs but maybe it could be something else? Where are the spark plugs located. I dont have alot of money and this will kill me if it dies on me any help would be greatly appreciated
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 3:20 PM

BLACKOP555
What do you mean when you say it wont start?

Do you mean crank just not fire over and run? Not crank? Need to know dependent on the problem the answers are completely black and white.
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 5:58 PM
RED-I
When it cranks it starts perfectly most times I turn the key its like theres no kick to the engine its not cranking other times it starts up fine and other times I hold the key turned over for 2 or 3 seconds then it cranks and starts perfectly
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 6:50 PM
RED-I
I have a feeling its the spark plugs because if it was the starter or altinator it wouldnt be so random and it fires perfectly "when" it cranks ranging from 1 to 20 times so I think that rules out the fuel pump im just scared im gonna burn the starter out when its takin 20 turns of the key to make it crank. Is it possible they were damaged from drivin through the water? If so I was looking for them under the hood but I couldnt see them
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 7:08 PM
BLACKOP555
You say it wont crank sometimes and you have to keep turning it before it will crank?

If thats the case the starter isnt engaging and turning the engine the typical cranking noise before it fires.

Is that true that there is no cranking untill you turn the key enough?
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 8:27 PM
RED-I
Exactly but when u say "enough" it varys sometimes it takes longer then others. Othertimes it happens first try but thats like 1 in 4 chance
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 8:39 PM
RED-I
Do you know what the problem is? Id really appreciate any help or any way to fix it as cheeply as possible I mean my worst fear is it wont start when I have my daughter in there I cant even afford a cell phone bill. Or it evenetually just wont start at all and I have no way to get to work
Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 8:54 PM
BLACKOP555
Sounds like its a issue with the starter or relay.

Apply direct battery power to the starter to see if it turns, or if you have to keep reapplying the power till it eventually cranks.
Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 8:29 AM
RED-I
Ok. I have tested the alternator the battery and the starter all are in good working order. Yet i'm still having the same problems. The starter will not crank. Sometimes it takes 1 turn othertimes it takes 5 minutes. Please help what else could the problems be and how can I test them so I can eliminate them.
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:50 PM
BLACKOP555
Check the starter relay/solenoid if not already checked.

Then next I would check the neutral safety swithc, try starting in neutral, any thing better?
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 8:10 PM
RED-I
The starter is fine I took it off the truck and took it to autozone. How do I test the solenoid? And I just tried starting it in nutreal it makes no difference
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 9:15 PM
BLACKOP555
Take a wire from one end of the solenoid adn touch the other wire, does it crank?

You getting voltage at the one terminal with key off?
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 8:11 PM
RED-I
Yes it cranks, I also took a wire from the solenoid to the battery and it cranks and starts perfectly so the solenoid must be good does that mean its just the wire or cause the check engine light is on or could it be the ignition?
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 4:47 PM
RED-I
U know what I Thank You for all you're help. I got one last question I decided to say forget it since its not simple and I know nothing about cars im just gonna wait till a month till I move to virgnia and my brother in law can fix it. My question is if I do what I did, connecting a wire from the solenoid small wire to the battery and get someone to turn the key so it will start. For like a month and a half Will that damage anything?
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 7:16 PM
BLACKOP555
Nope, basically by doing that your bypassing the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch for the starter circuit.

Just make sure its not in gear when you attempt to do this or you may get ran over.
Wednesday, October 29th, 2008 AT 9:37 PM
RED-I
Ok, what I did was ran a wire from the small wire on the solenoid (i split the cable) and ran that inside the car. Then I took a wire from the battery and ran it through to the car. Now when I turn the key and connect the 2 cables it starts perfectly. It's a quick fix till my brother-in law can fix it pernemently, im gonna buy a switch so I don't have to mess around connecting the cables. But the problem is resolved and it didn't cost me a dime, when I didn't know anything about cars. Thank you for you're help man even tho I did not donate if I could afford it I would. Thanks again.
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 5:21 PM
BLACKOP555
Glad to have helped.

Hopefully it gets all fixed up right and cheap. Shouldnt be too big of a project.
Thursday, October 30th, 2008 AT 7:33 PM