1994 Ford Explorer

JAKE122288
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 1994 for explorer with a 4.0l V-6 engine and its four wheel drive and has roughly 215,000 miles on it. It's a well kept vehicle and has been taken very good care of. Recently I went out to start it and it woulldnt start. It just clicks when you try and start it like the battery is dead. I assumed that was the problem. So I charged the battery and my battery is charged and holding charge but when I tried to start it, it just made the same "clicking" Noise. I'm stumped on what else it could be. What would be some other possible reasons for this "clicking" noise and failure to start and the possible solutions for these problems. Thank you
Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 AT 3:08 PM

FLEXY5
More than likely it is the starter, but check all you battery cables first. If they are dirty, take them off the battery posts and clean them. If that doesn't work, check the connections at the starter. Make sure you are getting 12v on the main lug as well as the smaller ignition (trigger) wire. Get back to me what you find and we'll go from there.
Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 AT 9:38 PM
JAKE122288
Ok I feel like a complete idiot but I know my starter is supposed 2 be located on the underside of the engine on the passenger side but I just cant find it. Can u help me out a bit! Im totally stumped and just wanna get my truck running again! Would u be able to give me step by step instructions for removal or even a diagram you've found that may help me? Thanks for the help greatly appreciated!
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 4:12 PM
FLEXY5
Locate where the engine and trans meet and on the passenger side, between the engine and the frame, you should see the starter. If you have trouble finding it, post back and I'll get you a picture, no problem.
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 9:04 PM
JAKE122288
I looked and I just cant find that starter anywhere! Lol thanks for everything! And I have another question. It is a very high milage explorer and some1 also told me it maybe my engine is locked up for some reason. And thats more work I can do myself and more money than I have 2 have it fixed by a mechanic. Would there be any other signs of this possibiltiy like a check engine light coming on or any strange noises? How can I test this theory if my new starter which im supposed 2 get tommorow doesnt solve the issue. What do u think is a more likely the cause of the problem? It does have almost 225,000 miles on it. THANKS AGAIN!
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 9:34 PM
JAKE122288
OK I found my starter. And its actually on the drivers side of the engne underneath. Probably y I couldnt find it b4. But now i've got a new starter and ran into more problems.I cant get any socket or wrench to fit on snug and it appears after I wiped off all the grime and goop off the bolt its stripped and slightly rounded. How can I work around this? All the help is appreciated
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 10:39 AM
FLEXY5
Go with the next size smaller in a 12 point socket and drive it on. Replace the bolt once you get it out. If it is metric, you may need a standard socket.
Saturday, March 8th, 2008 AT 4:55 PM
JAKE122288
Well I got my new starter on today. Just got inside from doing it. Well once I hooked up all my battery cables and everything I tried 2 turn it over and yet its just the same click. So im charging my battery up 2 make sure thats not the issue again since I left the hood open the other night and the light may have drained its power. Now could the problem be my starter silinoid (idk the spelling) located by my battery.I just recently replaced that so I didnt think that would be the issue. But u never know. So if this didnt solve the problem what else could be the problem? All my cables are sending power and its all hooked up right.I just want my truck back on the road again!
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 4:01 PM
JAKE122288
Ok well I went ahead and replaced that starter relay thing. And still sitting at the same click. My next thought is the gear thing.I dotn know what its called. It prevents the vehicle from being started if its not in Park or neutral. I need 2 know where wires or this sensor/relay/whatever it is is located so I can see if thats my issue. And if that doesnt work im left with no choicer but 2 replace wires even tho they look fine. Thanks again for everything
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 1:41 PM
BMRFIXIT
Try this
key off (KEY OFF )
E brake on
jump the two terminals on the starter (big and should have power at all time
and small switch only )
and it should crank
have you checked the fuses
do you have an alarm system that may effect in this mater
make sure you have power at the starter and also check for ground
let me know
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 7:10 PM
JAKE122288
Well thatnks every1 for the help and input. But I finally figured it out! And its about time. But it turned out 2 be a combination of my starter relay and my trigger wire to my starter. I dont know how I didnt figure this out earlier but its starting now as I encounter a new problme.I need 2 replace my alternator! Atleast I dont need help with that! That you so much you saved me alot of money and I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it with my own hands! Thanks again It was all greatly appreciated!
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 3:20 PM

Related Engine Not Starting Content