BATTERY, OR POSSIBLE DRAW COMING FROM CA

1993 Ford Explorer

Lucidblue3

April, 29, 2009 AT 6:47 PM

1993 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

The main question I have is will my battery drain if the cables are loose? I am having a problem holding a charge in my car. It will run just fine for 2 days, but the third day I go out there it's dead. I just had it checked at the mechanic said it wasn't the Alternator, or the battery. They said there is a draw coming from my car. I am having transmission problems, and head gasket problems. I am pretty sure I can replace the pieces for the head gasket, but on a scale from 1-10 I am trying to find out how hard it would be. I have replaced MANY things in this car before. I CAN NOT and WILL NOT touch a transmission. Any suggestions on those two questions?

obxautomedic

April, 29, 2009 AT 7:55 PM

Yes, if your cables are loose and corroded it can cause a draw on the battery. One way to find were the draw is is to have a test light in hand, remove the positive cable from the battery, connect the test light between the cable end and the terminal. If the light comes on you have a draw, and the brighter the light the bigger the draw.

Then what you do is start pulling fuses one at a time checking the light with each pull, once the light goes off that is the circuit the draw is on.

Now as far as the tranny problem. I had a 94 that I thought had a tranny problem along with a blown head gasket. Well fix head gasket and guess what is also fixed the tranny problem.

So, I would get the head gasket fixed and see what happens with the tranny.

.

MTCAIME

March, 16, 2011 AT 9:01 AM

PERFORME A LOAD TEST SOMETHING IS STAYING ON LIKE UNDERHOOD LIGHT, RADIO, GLOVEBOX LIGHT SOMETHING.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Alternator testing done right