1993 Ford Explorer 4 wheel drive will not engage

RICHARD777
  • 1993 FORD EXPLORER
When I push my 4X4 button on the dash, the 4X4 will not engage. I have manually locking hubbs. At the end of last year the 4X4 was not engaging and after repeated attempts, it would engage. Now it will not at all. I can hear a slight clicking noise inside the car when I push the button, but no engagement. Is it my transfer case motor?
Thursday, October 1st, 2009 AT 5:49 PM

RACEFAN966
Lets start with a self test which is very simple to do. Now in the rear on the drivers (left) side there is a compartment open it and you will see a box, this is the 4x4 module. Now unplug the 5 pin and 8 pin connector from the module. There is an LED light on the module (see pic below). Now have someone turn the key on engine off you should see this LED light blink 4 times. If it don't blink the 4x4 module you are looking at is no good replace it, with either a new one or one from a wrecking or salvage yard. If it does blink 4 times then that 4x4 module is good. Get back to me with what you find.
-1
Friday, October 2nd, 2009 AT 9:18 AM
RICHARD777
The light does not blink when the car is turned on (with engine off). I'll look for a new module and replace it. I'll let you know how things turn out. Thanks! Richard
+1
Friday, October 2nd, 2009 AT 4:08 PM
RACEFAN966
Great let me know how it goes.
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 8:48 AM
RICHARD777
I pulled one from a salvage yard and put it in. It did not blink 4X. I pluugged the rear plugs in anyway and tried to engage. It clicked several times but did not engage. I tried a couple more times and it finnaly did engage with the 4X4 light on the panel as well. I turned it on and off several times to make sure it was working. Then it just stayed in 4X4 and was not able to disengage. I finnaly unpugged it and returned the one I pulled and got another one. I have not plugged the new one in yet. Car is still stuck in 4X4. I freeed my hubs in front b/c they are manuel locking so I can at least drive on dry pavement. It makes a loud squeel though. Am I frying the component by continually trying to engage with it clicking? I'm a little afraid to put the new one in.
+1
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 1:37 PM
RICHARD777
I plugged the second 'new' one that I got from the bone yard. I did the plug in test. That one did not blink four times either. Is it possible to have two new ones that are bad?
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 1:49 PM
RICHARD777
Well, now I plugged in my OLD one. Still no blinking light. I plugged in the rest of the connectors and voila, it works! I'm not sure why. I'm alittle nervous b/c when I need the 4X4 in the mountains in snow and mud, I'm stuck without it. Any clues?
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 2:17 PM
RACEFAN966
Well that is a liitle strange. It should have blinked the light on the 4x4 module that is. You are checking the led that is on the module not the 4x4 lights on the dash? Just making sure. Now the only thing that I can figure it that unpluging it reset it. The test is realy simple with simple results so I don't understand that one. I would say that the one you put in at first was bad as it locked it in 4x4 and wouldn't release. If you have anymore problems we can check the T-case motor but it has to not be working inorder to check it otherwise it will test good. Let me know how it goes.
-1
Monday, October 5th, 2009 AT 6:15 PM
RICHARD777
Thanks, I will continue to test the 4X4 system to see if it continues to work and let you know if it does not. Still not sure why the light does not blink. Thanks, Richard
Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 11:07 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok that sounds good. I can't understand why the light won't blink either as it is all self contained. Go figure. If there are any problems just let me know.
-1
Saturday, October 10th, 2009 AT 8:53 AM
RICHARD777
Thanks, It worked well this morning in the snow and ice. There was no clicking noises that I usually hear when I engage it either. Thanks again. Richard
Saturday, October 10th, 2009 AT 2:22 PM
RACEFAN966
No problem if you have any issues with it just ask, I will try to help where I can.
Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 2:08 PM