1992 Ford Explorer Overheating

CLOVE38
  • 1992 FORD EXPLORER
Engine Cooling problem
1992 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My 1992 Ford Explorer has started overheating. Once the engine gets hot enough it starts pushing the coolant back out thru the resevoir tank. There was a leak underneath the vehicle and smoke coming thru the vent. I used two bottles of Stop Leak in the radiator and that stopped the leaking and the smoke. But not the overheating, today I had the thermostat replaced but has not solved the problem. Could I need a need a new Water pump or could the radiator(used) be clogged?
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 6:04 PM

JGAROFALO
Either the water pump or the radiator could cause the overheating. Also, check belt tension and the condition of the belt and tensioner. A slipping belt can also make you overheat. Also check the condition of the hoses. A soft hose can close up and restrict coolant flow.

Check for coolant circulation with the engine warming up from cold. You should feel a temperature change at the upper radiator hose when the thermostat begins to open. If you do not get a temperatuer change, then the coolant is not circluating, and you need to look at the water pump or belt. If you do feel a change in temperature, then it is more likely a plugged radiator.

Also, be careful about using "fixes in a can" as most will cause more problems than they solve. Stop leak will clog up a radiator and heater core.
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009 AT 7:03 PM