1991 Ford Explorer wont start - HELP pls

• 1 POST

1991 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 66000 miles

i have a 1991 ford explorer with 66,000 original miles on it. Since ive had the explorer ive replaced a number of parts including but not limited to :

fuel pump and filter
head gasket
valve cover gaskets
MAF sensor
air idle control valve
O2 sensor
starter solenoid
spark plugs and wires.

i have verified that it is indeed getting fuel, spark and air.

now to the problem

when I go to start the engine it will continually spin as if trying to start but never actually cranks up. Ive gotten luck one time and got her to crank but havent been able to since, and the time it did crank I could her a tapping/ticking noise coming from the engine.

i was told by several people that I need to replace my timing chain and tensioner and have my timing set.

but I dont know how to do that nor if that is indeed the porblem.

please help.

Sunday, October 31st, 2010 AT 11:18 PM

Yeah I agree, the feeling of it just continually turning and not seeming to catch would be a indicator of a slipped belt/chain or even a snapped belt or the belts tensioner could be bad. If you do not have the experience with changing timing belts/chain, I do not recommend doing it, and if I am not mistaken, the engine may have to be taken out or cocked foward. To access. It sounds like with the low miles, it may be worth the money to get it fixed. Whatever you do dont go to the dealer to have it done, it will be way more expensive to do. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Please dont continue to try to start it, you may cause more internal problems

TY for the donation

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing

Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 9:12 AM