1991 Ford Explorer will not start and run

ALPENGLOW
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER
I have the following error codes when testing with the engine off: 16, 21, 24. I have replaced the crankshaft pickup sensor, engine coolant temp sensor, intake air sensor, engine coolant gauge sensor, engine ignition module, have 70 psi fuel pressure cranking. Checked spark at every cylinder, new spark plug wires. The engine backfires when it attemps to start. This engine was getting harder and harder to start when it wasn't started everyday. Now it will not start. I am starting to give up on it. It you have any help I would like to hear from you.
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 1:18 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check compression and the timing chain
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 6:23 AM
ALPENGLOW
I had 4000 miles on a new set of Autolite Platinum spark plugs before I had this problem with it not wanting to start. Well, I bought a new set of standard Autolite plugs. I started to replace each one. I pulled one out and checked the spark while my wife cranked it over. It had a good blue /white spark, plug looked clean and compression was good. I then replaced it with a new one. After changing 2 plugs and while testing the 3rd plug the engine started up. After installing all the new plugs the engine runs good and is back to the same power it had before having this problem with the new Autolite Platinum plugs.
Has anyone ever been through this with a new set of Autolite Platinum plugs? I will be letting Autolite know about this problem.
Now I am getting error codes 16, 41, 12, 77 and my check engine light comes on after driving a couple miles. It resets after I shut the engine off and then comes on again after a couple miles. I then changed the HO2S sensor and the fuel pressure regulator. Still the same error codes come back and the check engine light comes on. I performed a Wiggle test and it was OK. I am back to square one. Confused!
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 11:30 PM