1991 Ford Explorer Starter Problems

JOSHUAK
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER
1991 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

I just got a 91 Explorer Sport 4x4 5speed 4.0L from my brother today. When he bought the vechicle someone put a bronco II transmission/flywheel/clutch assembly in the vehicle. He was having starter problems with the teeth lining up. He went and put a new flywheel/clutch assembly, a rebuilt Explorer trans. New driveshaft, new clutch master cylinder, new correct starter (correct by the parts store) and had a trans. Shop do all of this work. Everything was great and all of a sudden the starter started to grind when trying to start the suv. He replaced the starter 3 times and they all seemed to work great for about 2-3 weeks and then it would start to grind again.

My question is, I now have the suv and do not want to keep sinking money into starters every few weeks. Does anyone know what could be wrong with this explorer? I have not taken the time to check the starter or flywheel yet because it is raining outside.

Thanks!
Friday, October 16th, 2009 AT 10:25 PM

First, make sure the starter is tight. After that, you may have to shim the starter to work properly. It is unusuall that it works correctly for a couple weeks then starts to give you trouble. If it was up to me, I would remove the starter and see if there is any odd wear on the flywheel or the starter drive gear.

Let me know what you find.
Monday, October 26th, 2009 AT 8:10 AM
JOSHUAK
Thanks for the advise.

The starter was tight, I took off the starter and checked each tooth on the starter and the flywheel. They look all brand new, seems like the teeth on the starter are barely coming into contact with the flywheel. All the wiring looked fine. I had a friend come over and look at it and he has never seen one with a solenoid on the starter and one on the right hand side of the fender inside the hood. The solenoid on the fender is brand new too. There is two battery cable size wires hooked to the solenoid under the hood. one running from the battery to the solenoid and one running from other side of solenoid to the starter. There is also a smaller wire running to who knows where. there is also a small wire running from the side that goes to the starter down to the starter.

I have uploaded a photo i did in photoshop to help understand what I am talking about.

This is not the actual solenoid, but you get the idea.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/422639_solenoid_1.jpg

If this does not help, I can take some actual photos of the solenoid and starter.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!
+1
Thursday, October 29th, 2009 AT 5:24 PM
It almost sounds like the starter needs shimmed.
-1
Friday, October 30th, 2009 AT 7:11 AM