1991 Ford Explorer Replacing the Starter

JUSTME2009
  • 1991 FORD EXPLORER
1991 Ford Explorer 6 cyl

Hello:

Can you provide basic instructions for replacing the starter, starter solenoid, etc?

Also, what's the best way to find out why the vehicle won't start, even after the battery has been replaced?
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM

JGAROFALO
First a question. Does the engine turn over? I will answer assuming that it does not.

Replacing the starter on this one is easy. From underneath the car, you will see a wiring harness that crosses under the engine. First loosen this harness from the engine. Remove the two bolts that hold the starter to the bellhousing. Lower the starter and remove the two wires from it, and reverse the procedure to install.

BUT. Before you invest in a starter, try a few basic checks. The solenoid is located on the inner fender behind the battery. Check for power to the small wire while a helper turns the key to the START position. If this checks OK, and you do have power, then make the same check on the large wires. One should always have power, and the other should only have power when the key is in the START position. If this checks OK, then the starter would be the problem.

Since most parts stores offer free testing, I would suggest that you have the starter tested before buying one.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 8:16 AM