CHARGING SYSTEM LIGHT

• Dk78kk
  • FORD EXPEDITION

I have 2004 ford expedition 71000 miles, 5.4 engine. The check charging system light came on. Had it check at my parts store. Alternator was not charging, had it rebuilt by a local rebuild shop(good record), cleaned bat. Terminals, and load tested battery, all good. But the Light is still on and I have 14.5 volts with engine running. Any Idea's?

Saturday, August 18th, 2007 AT 3:10 PM

• Jet243

I have the same problem on my 2003 ford expedition I changed battery and alternator and battery/check charging system light will not turn off. I also verified the charger was charging the battery and the fuse was good. I could not find a manual. Does anybody know or have a wiring diagram that can tell me where the cable from the battery to the alternator splits off to and how it works with the fusible link(s)?

Friday, September 7th, 2007 AT 12:03 AM
  • Jw6937

I have the exact same problem. 2003 Expedition with about 71k miles on it. Alternator just went out on it. Replaced it with a new one, but the red battery dummy light stays on, & the message center is still showing the "Check Charging System" message? Tried installing a 2nd new alternator just in case, but the "Check Charging System" message is still there. Tested the output on the alternator & everything test perfectly. But no matter what I try, that darn "Check Charging System" message won't go away. Has anyone determined a fix to this issue yet?

FROM KEN: Check the solution below

Saturday, October 13th, 2007 AT 2:55 PM
  • Manuelxp@adelphia.net

I have the same problem but it is one step further, I am on my second alternator they ran a test of the first one and it wast fine but like I told them with it not carrying a load it could test good all day replaced it now the light is still on but engine dies right after it is jumped I did test battery low but still good. The vehicle does not hold the charge Does anyone know what fuses I should be looking at?

+1
Monday, October 15th, 2007 AT 9:08 PM
  • 2CarPros Ken

Hello Dk78kk,

It looks like the problem is the PCM or you have high resistance or a broken fusible link, here is a diagram below.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, November 29th, 2016 AT 2:59 PM