AC front will not blow but rear AC blows okay

CBAILEY75
  • 2008 FORD EXPEDITION
V8 two wheel drive automatic 50,000 miles. It started with intermittent stoppage and finally the front A/C will not blow air at all while the rear A/C will continue to blow air and the air is cold. It is an intermittent issue on top of everything else. There are times when the front unit will turn on just as normal as it should and then other times, it will not turn on at all, while at other times, it will turn on only after the rear unit has been on for awhile.

There is no rhyme or reason as to what makes the front unit decide to come on. I have tried turning the control to reflect the front unit blow air from the top and bottom and I can feel a very slight bit of air flowing from the air vents. When this happens, sometimes the full front unit will kick on and other times it just runs with the very slight air. Other times, the front unit will not blow any air even with the control knob in that position. Yesterday, the front unit worked perfectly as if there was never an issue and this morning nothing.

If it is the blower, I do not know. It seems to me like a vacuum issue as I can hear something in the air vents trying to open or close. Maybe that is what it is? I just do not know but other times, I cannot hear the same sound. Did I help at all?

Okay, When the air does blow from the front, it blows exactly where it is supposed to. But when it does not blow, it does not blow from any of the front vents. So when it does kick on and I have the control set to AC, it blows from the proper AC vents. Does that make sense?

Additionally I am speaking about the AC, not the heater just in case that makes a difference.

It is very frustrating.
Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 AT 11:55 AM

Yes, I understand. It sounds like there is a problem with the blower motor. What needs to be done is this; when it does not work, you need to check if the blower motor is getting power. You can use a test light to check.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/blower-fan-motor-works-on-high-speed-only

(There is an excellent post eight entries down)

+7
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 12:13 PM
CBAILEY75
With the vehicle only two and half years old and at 50,000 miles, would it sound to you more like an electrical issue or a blower motor needing to be replaced? In either way, what you expect the cost for repairs to be at a typical automotive and reputable repair shop? Thanks.
+4
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 12:17 PM
Honestly, I would think it has to do with a bad ground, but I would have to check it. If there is power to the motor and it does not run, either the motor is bad or there is no ground.

As far as the cost, the motor will be under a hundred dollars from a parts store. The labor should be no more than 1.5 hours.
+2
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 12:52 PM
CBAILEY75
Thank you very much for all of your input and guidance. You have an awesome website and offer a great service. If you believe in heaven then you will have a seat saved for you there as you are truly giving back to the community and you treat us morons like regular people. Thank you again and have a great evening. Chris Bailey
+5
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 3:50 PM
Chris,
I do believe, and I hope you are right. However, you are not a moron. How can you be expected to know and understand something if no one ever tells you.

I am really glad you like the site. Tell your friends and family to check it out, and thanks for using 2carpros. Com.

Take care, and let us know if you have other questions in the future.

+4
Thursday, October 21st, 2010 AT 4:45 PM
CBAILEY75
Okay, I am back with more symptoms. One thing I have noticed over the last several days is a common trait as to how to get the front blower to blow when turning on the AC for the first time. This does not work about ten percent of the time so it is safe to say that there is something about this sequence that may be of some use to you when trying to guess what is wrong here (ninety percent success rate). If I start the vehicle from a cold engine and then drive it for about five minutes, and then turn on the A/C system, the front blower will turn on after about five seconds. However, if I try to do this on a warm engine, there is a much lower chance of getting the front blower to activate (less than fifty percent success rate).

Another question I have about all of this is: by prolonging the repair, it has been a couple of weeks now, am I doing any long term damage, or any other type of damage, to the A/C system?

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Chris
+4
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 10:20 AM
It has to be a bad relay. However, you need to check the motor when it does not run to see if there is power to it.
+3
Tuesday, October 26th, 2010 AT 1:16 PM
PAIGE JONES
Chris! My expedition is the same! (Just seven years later!)

Except, my one, two, and three fan options have not worked for months. Only the highest speed (four) was the only option. Which was fine, until this weekend when (four) decided to become temperamental- just as Chris explained it. One minute, it acts like it should, then you turn off the car and go about your day, just to get back in and it will not turn on! But, I did notice that when it is about to come back on, you can kind of feel/hear it climbing up a hill, trying to get enough stamina to finally turn on.

And we live in Nebraska, I cannot live without A/C. Well, I suppose I could. No, I mean, I would cry and complain. I need A/C in my life!

Joe, I am glad you all have this website! Now, just have to convince my husband to try (haha) to figure it out, or find a mechanic that can get me in and out in a reasonable fashion and not take me for a ride.

Peace to you both!
Paige
Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 7:32 AM
KEN

Two things come to mind for this problem. First is the blower motor controller itself is going bad which you can confirm by flowing this guide.

Here are some wiring, relay and component diagrams (below) to help you do further testing and get the problem fixed:

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please run some tests and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
+4
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 11:17 AM
MIKEMCCLAIN8
Just to add to the discussion. I have a 2008 Expedition EL and was having the same issue. After troubleshooting following your advice, I ended up at the blower motor under the passenger side dash. I noticed condensation on the black duct-work which I assume is from lack of air circulation. Anyway, the blower was not turning until I hit it. It then began to spin and I had cold air. This lasted until I turned the engine off and restarted the next day. No air. Wiggled and hit the motor until it started to turn. Reminds me of brushed motors in radio controlled cars. Once they are spinning, they will continue to spin. However, once they stop, the brushes can prevent restart until they are "helped along." Anyway, just ordered a new motor from amazon for $50.00. For those interested, the motor is just held in place by the housing which is twisted in place. Quarter turn counter-clockwise and it falls out.
+5
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 AT 7:24 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site. :)

I remember those radio controlled car days, they were the best.

Cheers, Ken
+2
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 AT 10:19 AM
JULIE WATERS MARTINEZ
My 2015 Expedition EL is doing the same. Will not blow from the dashboard. Intermittent. Mechanic already replaced the blower motor. Also, not sure if it is related, but my backup camera only works half the time. Other times it is scrambled or black. Ideas?
Sunday, November 5th, 2017 AT 2:16 PM
KEN
I do not think the two problems are related. If you can start a new question for the back up camera problem it would be great.

Please post your question here:

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

When the air is not blowing from the dash can you hear the blower motor working or is it silent?

Cheers, Ken
Monday, November 6th, 2017 AT 10:47 AM