2003 Ford Expedition springs on caliper

JBLACKWELL1970
  • 2003 FORD EXPEDITION
I replaced front pads and couldnt get the spring on the back of the caliper on the pad. It feel out of the caliper and couldnt figure how it went together. The other side wasnt attached when I replaced that side, does this spring need to be there? What is its purpose. Is it for vibration? Or noise? It went fine other than that brakes work good but no spring. This is not the clip on the front, just the spring on the back side that attaches to the pad. I guess if necessary will have to order 1 set, if so is there a trick to put them back in as one was not there for reference and the other feel out when the inside pad was removed.
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 10:52 AM

WRENCHTECH
That spring clip is very important. It holds the pads and caliper in place and keeps tension on the pads.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/561653_Brake_retainer_clip_03_Expedition_1.gif

Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:10 AM
JBLACKWELL1970
The spring clip in the picture is in place. It is the other spring on the inside pad.
-1
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:17 AM
WRENCHTECH
That one is pretty important also. It prevents the pads from dragging all the time.
+1
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:27 AM
JBLACKWELL1970
Do you have a picture similar to the other on how that spring is placed in the caliper? Or a tip on how to install it. I have 1 of the clips and can install it this weekend and maybe the dealer might have a set that I can order for the other side. On the b ack of the inside pad there is a small hole rivited to the pad itself. The spring attaches there, that much I do know. But how it attaches to the caliper is the question that I dont have a answer to. The spring looks to have 2 small bends and another hook. Any help?
+1
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:33 AM
WRENCHTECH
I believe it hooks in to the pad on one end and a hole in the caliper on the other end. It's inserted and then lifted to lock it in.

There are no good pictures available.
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
JBLACKWELL1970
Would the car be ok to run this way, without for a few days till the weekend? What of corse would be the worst case if left this way without the spring. I am sure since one was missing, alot of expeditions might be running this way also since that pad snaps into the caliper so tight ( hard to remove). I just dont want something that might be unsafe.
+1
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:46 AM
WRENCHTECH
It could overheat the wheel.
+1
Thursday, October 28th, 2010 AT 11:47 AM