2000 Ford Expedition courtesy Lighting

JEFF3021
  • 2000 FORD EXPEDITION
  • AWD
Just recently I went out to start it and the battery was dead. Usually I have found that before a battery goes dead there are some indicators, slower cranking etc. Anyhow, I recenly discovered (during the evening) that the interior and exterior courtesy lights have been turning on and off at will with out the doors being open or truck turned on. Is this becasue of a short or perhaps a bad door switch? Could my battery really be bad and this some way of the system reacting to lack of proper battery charge? Is the alternator to blame? I have noticed also at night that the lights on occation have dimmed breifly, perhaps a combination of problems? How do I check these issues with basic tools? Thanks In advance.
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 5:38 AM

JACK42
Use a meter to see what the alt is putting out at the battery and at th ebig wire on the back of alt. Then use the meter to see what kind of voltage you have at the underhood power center. Be sure all connections are clean and tight. This could be a problem with the BCM (body Control Module). If all charging, have the Truck scanned for any codes that might pertain to the BCM.
Friday, February 15th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM