1998 Ford Expedition trouble starting and maintianing idle

DAVID5863JR
  • 1998 FORD EXPEDITION
I have recently had problems starting my expedition. I could start it by pressing the gas while starting --although this was a new development. Then it would run well after it had warmed up. Now it wont start and but for a few seconds, then the idle fails and I try again. I have also tried to start while giving it gas and now it wont do that. I have started it without depressing the gas pedal and the idle fails after a few seconds, especially if I try to give it gas.
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 3:36 PM

Hi:
This could be caused by many things, Idle air control, throttle position sensor. What I recommend is to have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store. Most will do it for free, and it will direct us as what needs repaired.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, January 4th, 2009 AT 1:55 PM
ISLANDMARINER
The rubber elbows in the vacuum lines that run along the fire wall at the back top of the engine may be deteriated and leaking.
Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 10:24 AM