Cylinder number four misfire

JOHN MOTHERSELL
  • 1997 FORD EXPEDITION

I have a misfire in cylinder four, the spark plug wire is getting spark to the spark plug and the fuel injector is working like it should, but I still have a misfire in that cylinder only. I sprayed soapy water all around the intake manifold and there are no leaks I have read the repair manual about four times and I still can not find the problem. Can you please help me with this problem? This is the first time I have been on this web site and if this works out I will definitely be using again. Thank you
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 9:16 PM

Check the spark plug/compression and injector for cyl no.4

Misfires can be caused by worn or fouled spark plugs, a weak spark (weak coil, bad spark plug wire), loss of compression, vacuum leaks, anything that causes an unusually lean fuel mixture (lean misfire), an EGR valve that is stuck open, dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, or even bad fuel.
I'm not sure how in-depth you have checked the injector, but just because it is getting pulse (Triggered) doesn't mean it is working properly. It may not actually be letting any or enough fuel in for good combustion.

Check out the guide below on testing a fuel injector and let us know what you find

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-fuel-injector

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter
Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 9:36 PM
GENE6210
  • 1997 FORD EXPEDITION
1997 Ford Expedition has diagnostic code for misfire on Cylinder #3. Changed sparkplug and coil, but code has not changed. What else could the problem be?
Sunday, September 16th, 2018 AT 8:02 AM (Merged)
Are you getting power to the coil? If so, check cylender compression in that cylender. Let me know what you find.

GENE6210
I put in a new coil pack, but was still missing. Then I put in a new spark plug and seemed to still be missing. I left the car alone for a day or two and now it is running fine. Must have taken some time for the "brain" to readjust itself after running a few times.
Thanks for the answer though, because you were down the right path to getting it fixed.
I'm glad it's running good now. If you have questions in the future, let us know.
TAYLEN20
  • 1998 FORD EXPEDITION
My check engine light came on a couple days ago and my truck was running rough. Autozone said that it was a misfire in #2 cylinder. I changed the spark plugs, plug boots, fuel filter, air filter, and pcv valve. I don't have the check engine light but there is still hesitation whenever I accelerate. Is there anything else that needs to be done to correct this proplem?
Check the no.2 compression and injector
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1998 FORD EXPEDITION
'98 Expedition has two problems. One is a cylinder misfire on cylinder 3, meaning I need a new spark plug, or coil or both. Simple fix. However, I just got this new code, p1415. What does this fault mean, what part do I need to fix it and what is the range of cost to fix?
ASEMASTER6371
Can you verify the code. I have no 1415

GEOR2683
  • 1999 FORD EXPEDITION
  • AWD
Test show misfire on cylinder 8. I changed spark plug and coil and still has misfire. Whats wrong?
Sunday, September 16th, 2018 AT 8:03 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
When you changed the plug and coil, did you replace the boot? And was the plug fouled?
GEOR2683
What do u mean by fouled plug? And the boot do u mean the piston?
MERLIN2021
By fouled, is the plug black? Wet? Melted electrode? Anything abnormal about it? Did you change all plugs or just #8?. Is it a single coil pack, or coil on plug system? Were the plug wires if coil pack all changed? Coil on plug, where the Boots under the coils changed? And can you feel the injector clicking with the engine running? You may need a fuel pressure and injector leakdown test.
BILL
  • 1999 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a '99 Ford Expedition (4wd) with 5.2L V-8 (GAS) engine and it as been thru the routine Ford maint per the book at proper intervals.

Recently the truck started running very-rough and then the "Engine Needs Service Soon" alarm-light came on.

Seems roughest at idle and at all shift points as well.

Put my OBD2 on and confirmed CODE P0304 for #4 Cylinder Misfire

Please advise on the most likely things you would to check out in order please. Advice appreciated!

Thx

Bill
BRETT ANDERSON
Check to see if you have spark. Could be a bad coil, wire or spark plug. If those three are good you more than likely have a bad injector. If thats not it you don't want to know what it is.$$$$$$$
GEAUXTIGERS
  • 1998 FORD EXPEDITION
The check engine light in my 1998 Ford Expedition, 5.4L engine, came on. The diagnosis was a restricted EGR flow. A mechanic friend suggested I just clean the ports connected to the EGR valve. Did that, had the check engine light reset and within 10 miles, it came back on. I then replaced the EGR valve and the DPFE sensor, again cleaned out all the connecting ports for carbon buildup. Check engine codes now say, mixture too lean in bank 1 and bank 2 and misfire in cylinder 1. I am going to change spark plugs and coils this weekend, but not sure that will solve all the problems.

My question, is this more likely a vacuum hose problem, given the lean mixture codes? If so, which hoses should I look at and what should I look for?The vehicle will sputter upon acceleration, but then respond normally. It idles rough and will sputter while cruising. It also has a terrible vibration at around 50 miles an hour. Any advice will be appreciated.
BMRFIXIT
[quote="geauxtigers"]Engine problem
1998 Ford Expedition V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

My question, is this more likely a vacuum hose problem, given the lean mixture codes? If so, which hoses should I look at and what should I look for?The vehicle will sputter upon acceleration, but then respond normally. It idles rough and will sputter while cruising. It also has a terrible vibration at around 50 miles an hour. Any advice will be appreciated.[/Quote

the EGR can be a vacuum leak by it self.
Make sure egr valve is closing and working pro
also if you have not had a tune up you should start
by at least changing the plugs
check around the manifold for a vacuum leak
BIEL777
  • 2002 FORD EXPEDITION
I have a 2002 ford expedition 5.4L V8. It started to run really rough. Code reader said #7 cylinder misfire. I replaced all plugs and coil pack on #7 cylinder. It runs better but It still lags. Code still pops up as #7 cylinder misfire. Also, I have white smoke(which stinks) coming out occasionally. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
BMRFIXIT
Next step is to do a compression test and check the injector
+1
P0307 Check the no.7 compression and injector
+1