98 Ford Escort zx2

BILSONXNC
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
98 ford escort zx2 120,000 miles on it with a 2.0 dohc ztec I was driving home last night going about 50-55 miles an hour and I put my car in nuetral and my car stalled and I pulled over to the side of the road and the car wouldnt fire up. It cranked but it wouldnt actually fire itself up. Some people told me it could be a timing belt or a flywheel. Or it could even be my alarm or my computer failing because I jumped a car a week befor this? What you think it would be? I made a donation on this question once already and nothing got answered so hopefully it will this time?
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 1:50 PM

KIN CHAN
I'm kinda new here as an internetmechanic. I need more info to diagnose.
1.) Fully charged and test battery?
2.) Did chk engine lite came on for a few times b4 car stall?
I need more info. But lets do this.I gotta go right now. In case I forgot u. Send me email or call me
Kin
reliable auto
281 373 1774
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 4:12 PM
BILSONXNC
The battery is not dead becuase it doesnt have a problem cranking. None of the lights are dim. I gave about all the info there is to know I mean I was just driving along about 50-55 and the car died for no apperent reason. Except I didnt push the clutch in when I put it in nuetral but that wont make the car stall I dont think. When I turn the key its cranks like it wants to start but it dont fire up. I'm hoping its just a timeing belt?
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:05 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Was the belt ever replaced?

Does it seem to turn over a littler quicker than normal?
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:07 PM
BILSONXNC
As far as I no the belt has not been replaced. But it could have been I just bought the car 2 weeks and he didnt mention replacing the timeing belt. It does kinda seem like it cranks a little more freely then it normally would?
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:14 PM
SERVICE WRITER
A timing belt that broke will cause that engine to spin over quicker than normal because it is has less resistance.

Here is the bad news, it should be changed at 120,000 miles, and it is an interference engine.

That means there may be internal damage such as bent valves or worse from it going out of time.
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:19 PM
BILSONXNC
SO is that guaranteed that there is engine damage or just a possility? I didnt hear anything banging or anything when I tried to start it up?
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:27 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Not gaurenteed. Each tme you crank it it the probablity increases. You won't hear a noise.

You can do some testing that may be meaningless and maybe meaningful.

Probably the only real way to know its to throw a belt on and see. I have seen some cars run rough, not start or be fine afterwards.
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 7:59 PM