Speedometer

BIGGARP
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
Automatic, 130,000 miles. My speedometer and odometer stopped working. I checked all the fuses. I replaced the speed sensor and swapped out the instrument cluster but these efforts did not solve the problem. Is there a second speed sensor?
Help!
Sunday, May 7th, 2006 AT 11:45 AM

LOSONE
Nope only one but it is a common failure. Make sure the cluster terminals are very clean. Maybe a second bad cluster. Good luck
Sunday, May 7th, 2006 AT 2:22 PM
IMPORTBASHER89
I cannot definitely tell you the problem but I can tell you what it could be
possible causes: wiring, PCM, transmission drive gear.
Of course you have already indicated the other stuff like instrument cluster, fuse, VSS.
Monday, May 8th, 2006 AT 8:41 AM
BIGGARP
I went to the junk yard and swapped out the speed sensor (again), the instrument cluster (again), and the cruise control box (although it was for an 2000 Escort Coupe verses 1998 Sedan/Wagon). Still no speedometer function. The previous reply mentions a "PCM". What is that?
Thanks,
Pat
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 11:04 AM
LOSONE
I looked carefully at the schematic. The ECM connection is the check engine light and has nothing to do with the function.

The last thing it might be are the cluster grounds. You need to get a digital voltmeter ($20.00) and check for a ground on all the black wires.

12 volts powers the cluster and is on the black and yellow wire from fuse 14. There should be 2/3 inputs. The internal cluster voltage is 7 volts.

A digital voltmeter is your only choice.

Let me know
Friday, May 12th, 2006 AT 5:25 PM
BIGGARP
Losone.
Your analysis was correct and I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance. My friend brought over his volt/ohm meter and we tested the wires from the cluster to the cruise control, to the speed sensor and found that the ground wire was not connected to ground. I could not find the fault so I ran a dedicated ground wire from the back of the cluster to a chassis ground point, and it worked! As an aside my daughter told me the horn was not working and this ground fixed that as well. I laid upside down under the dash and checked all the wires, as well as removed the airbag, and could not find any obvious wire or connector issues. As long as it works I do not mind using the dedicated ground wire as a permanent fix.
Thanks,
Pat
Saturday, May 20th, 2006 AT 12:35 PM
LOSONE
Glad to be of service! Losone
Saturday, May 20th, 2006 AT 1:20 PM