93 Ford Escort 1.9L 300,000 miles

LANGFORDFOUR
  • 1993 FORD ESCORT
When starting the car while it is cold it idles rough (up and down) after warm up it idles fine. While driving it the motor boggs, pressing the gas pedal will not accelerate it. I can let it sit and idle and start driving again and it will be OK for 5-10 miles but then it does it again. It smokes bad when it does this from the tailpipe. I used jumper wire to self test and got codes by counting the check engine light in the dash. The codes that came up are: 122 throttle position circuit below minimum 157 MAF sensor voltage below minimum 172 Lack of HEGO switches indicates lean. Does this mean all of these items need replacing or is it that I am getting the christmas tree light affect? One affecting the other? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 1:38 PM

CARUNDELL
Hey lang,
I would recommend not changing any parts as yet. The MAF and TPS codes may be a concern, but lets try this first as they may be previous codes. Disconnect the neg and pos battery teminals for 5 mins( to clear codes) reconnect and take it for a drive ( for 5 -10 mins, if possible), and pull codes again, let me know which ones, if any re-occured. Re-post w/ your results.

Chris
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 2:14 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
Must be black smoke? Indicating lean would mean pcm is dumping extra fuel to compensate, creating the black smoke. 300k is lot of miles, have you ever changed the o2 sensor? I never change unless the sensor can definitely be found to be bad. Look at the front of your engine right around the valve cover where it meets the cylinder head. Can you find a single wire, maybe orange in color? It will be bolted to the cylinder block by itself, this is a dedicated ground wire for the o2 sensor, lots of the time, especially with your mileage and age of car, this wire connection will become corroded, which will cause the circuit not to switch rich to lean, or vice versa, sometimes during a koer test, it will show correct, other times it will fault, it will act up on it's own with no regularity. See if you can find this wire, it's there somewhere, not too familiar with the escort motor. As far as maf, I would disconnect the sensor plug and clean it up, put a little dielectric grease on the connector, same with the tps connector, sometimes it will help. 300k is good miles, car has been good to you, just some things that won't cost an arm and a leg to start at. Never spend money just replacing parts as a shot in the dark, you only have to read any number of posts on here to see where all kinds of money is spent with no resolve of the issues.
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 4:56 PM
TAURUSWHEEL
Oh yeah another thing, if you're handy you can remove the maf sensor from the vehicle. Take a look inside you will see a couple of very small and TENDER resistor wires, they'll probably be located in some sort of small typr air-horn looking piece, these can be cleaned very gently with a q-tip and alcohol, or some spray them with electrical contact cleaner. If you wipe them, they are extremely fragile, you may notice black residue on the q-tip, that would be good, it doesn't belong on the resistors. Sometimes the resistors are only accessible by removing a small plate, which is usually held on by special torx screws, so-called tamper-resistant, they have a small nipple in the torx fitting, you can buy a set of torx fittings that will remove these, any autoparts store will have them, just something else to look at.
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 5:06 PM
CARUNDELL
Hey taurus.
Just got a pm and O2 popped. Recommending an O2. Looks like you and I had the same feeling on this one.

Chris
Saturday, January 6th, 2007 AT 10:21 PM
LANGFORDFOUR
Cris and Taures. Thanks for the information. Looks like we are going to try replacing the o2 sensor.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 10:02 AM
LANGFORDFOUR
Replaced the o2 sensor. Q tips and alchol cleaned the maf filaments and and the blue bullet runs like new thanks to Chris and taurus so listen too these two cause thy got skillz.
Thanks guys.
Sunday, January 7th, 2007 AT 5:45 PM