Speedometer and odometer not working

OZZX2
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT
Hello. My speedometer/odometer quit working. Started working intermittently for about two weeks, then stopped working completely. P0500 code. I swapped out VSS (new), two times instrument clusters (used), PCM (used).

Any other suggestions or troubleshooting steps I can try? Someone suggested it might be a ground issue.

Thanks.
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 5:49 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

The only sensor you have not changed that is the most likely cause is the Turbine Speed Sensor. I cannot find a good diagram that show exactly were it is located. But here is a diagram that will give you a good idea. In the diagram it is labeled #22.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99exscortzx2turbspeedsensr_1.jpg

press CTRL + to zoom in...

.
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
OZZX2
Even though it gave a P0500 code, it could be the PO715 Turbine Speed Sensor?

This started happening a few days after I drove the car home with a broken belt tension er. It did not overheat since it was cold, but it ran the battery way down.
-1
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:38 PM
OZZX2
I took these pictures from the location of your diagram.

Are one of these the turbine/input speed sensor?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX23_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX22_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX21_2.jpg

+1
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 10:02 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
I am sorry for delay in getting back been very busy.

Anyway, I believe it is the top picture.

The bottom picture is the transmission range selector switch.

Not sure about the center picture.

.
Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM
OZZX2
I swapped out the turbine/input speed sensor today and no change. I also tried another VSS and no change. I traced the wire and the middle picture goes to the oxygen sensor.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting? Seems like I lost the horn around the same time as the speedometer. Maybe a ground issue?

240 ohms at VSS. 230 ohms at dash (from what I have found, within proper range).

Hooked up multimeter/Ohm meter to the VSS wires at the cluster and drove it. It starts beeping faster (continuity) as you go faster (hall effect sensor).

Do you have a wiring diagram for the instrument cluster?
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 5:36 PM
OZZX2
Finally! This is the correct wiring diagram for my instrument cluster. Thanks. The one in my Haynes Manual does not match. Neither did the one from the ARRC database (or any I have found online).

The voltage at the instrument cluster for the VSS is showing 8.5 volts. Is this correct?
Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
I found this. Not sure it will help. Have not been able to find volts for the VSS at the cluster, but shows Ohms in tests below.

TEST D: SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER INACCURATE

Coupe

1.Turn ignition off. Connect scan tool and retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) following manufacturer's instructions. If no DTCs are present, go to next step. If DTCs are present, see appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE. Repair DTCs as necessary, then retest system.

2.Using scan tool, observe Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) output Parameter Identification (PID) while assistant drives vehicle over range of speeds on various road surfaces. If VSS PID varies smoothly with vehicle speed, go to next step. If VSS PID does not vary or is erratic, see appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE to diagnose VSS.

3.Remove and check OBDII 10-amp fuse in engine compartment fuse box. If fuse is okay, reinstall fuse and go to step 5 . If fuse is blown, go to next step.

4.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect all instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 1 (Green wire). See Fig. 7 . Resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, replace OBDII 10-amp fuse and go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

5.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 1 (Green wire). See Fig. 7 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

6.Turn ignition off. Disconnect Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) harness connector C132. Measure resistance of Blue wire between VSS harness connector and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 11. See Fig. 6 . Measure resistance of White/Black wire between VSS harness connector C132 and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 1. Resistance in both tests should be less than 5 ohms. If resistances are as specified, go to next step. If resistances are not as specified, repair open in White/Black or Blue wire. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

7.Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 1 (White/Black wire). Measured resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in White/Black wire.

8.Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Black/Yellow wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Black/Yellow wire between instrument cluster connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

9.Turn ignition off. Visually inspect instrument cluster printed circuit for damage, cracks or hot spots. If instrument cluster printed circuit is okay, replace speedometer. If instrument cluster printed circuit is damaged, replace printed circuit and gauge contact clips.

Sedan & Wagon

4.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect all instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Green wire). See Fig. 6 . Measured resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, replace OBDII 10-amp fuse and go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

5.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Green wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

6.Turn ignition off. Disconnect Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) harness connector C132. Measure resistance of Blue wire between VSS harness connector and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 7. See Fig. 6 . Measure resistance of White/Black wire between VSS harness connector C132 and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 9. Resistance in both tests should be less than 5 ohms. If resistances are as specified, go to next step. If resistances are not as specified, repair open in White/Black or Blue wire. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

7.Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 9 (White/Black wire). Resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If measured resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in White/Black wire.

8.Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminals No. 8 and 4 (Black/Yellow wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Black/Yellow wire between instrument cluster connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

Fig 6

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99escortzx2clstrc252_1.jpg

Fig 7

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99escortzx2clstrc253_7_1.jpg

.
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
OZZX2
Thanks. I am still working on it. My A/C went out at the house and currently dealing with that. Also took a few days off. Fixed my horn problem though. Lost the ground. Ran a wire to the frame.
Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Congrats on the horn fix.

Sorry for home A/C problem especially this time of year.

.
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 9:23 AM
K_NUKEM
A P0500 code is your wheel speed sensor, simple as that, which is actually I believe the second picture you uploaded, here in Ontario it is a $60.00 part and like.4 hours at a mechanic, so like $15.00 or so, or do it yourself, not hard at all. And that is definitely why your speedometer does not work and in turn causing your odometer not to work

I do not know where everyone else is getting these crazy responses from, I have personally gone through this on my ZX2 and know first hand what it is though, hopefully you get it fixed, good luck

Note: Or tough it out, pay attention to your RPM's or buy a GPS for an speedometer and you save putting mileage on your car, keep the resale value, lol.
-1
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:10 PM
OZZX2
Oh yea, I forgot to update this thread. I found the issue.

I pulled out the battery to charge it and a few weeks later the speedometer started acting up, then quit. The VSS blue wire is grounded about four inches down from the negative battery terminal on the cable. It must have slowly worked its way out of the plug.

All the wiring diagrams said it was grounded "near starter motor".

Previously I replaced the VSS twice. Other people have found the issue when they lost a ground to the instrument cluster, or bad wire to the VSS or PCM. I was working with a few guys from Team ZX2 also.

The biggest reason I am fixing it is I cannot pass emissions inspection with the CEL on lol.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:51 PM
OP_BOARD1984
I am having the same problem as well. I was wondering if by chance what the problem was with the speedometer odometer? Also, did you ever have problems with your fog lights, as well as your cruise control? I would really appreciate the advice.
-1
Friday, April 11th, 2014 AT 3:10 PM
SSXT
My Fix 7-2018:
Speedometer goes to 0- zero - when I try to set the cruise control.

This only applies if you do not have a DTC (code) and the service engine soon soon light is not on. If a code specifically the VSS P0500 is present it may be the vehicle speed sensor and this is not relevant. However, this fix is is only a couple of dollars verses more than $50.00for a new VSS sensor, so it may be worth trying first.

Check and clean the ground block attached to negative terminal on battery. I had severe corrosion on the wires (not just the terminal) that attached to the negative terminal (1999 Ford Escort ZX2). I cut the wires, reattached with a ring terminal to the negative battery terminal and it fixed my speedometer and speed control/cruise issues. Still works great a month later.

The attached picture shows how I cut-off the ground block and used ring terminals to attach the ground wires back to the negative battery terminal.
Thursday, July 5th, 2018 AT 2:00 PM