1999 Ford Escort ZX2 speedometer and odometer not working

OZZX2
  • 1999 FORD ESCORT

1999 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

Hello. My speedometer/odometer quit working. Started working intermittently for about 2 weeks, then stopped working completely. P0500 code. I swapped out VSS (new), 2 x instrument clusters (used), PCM (used).

Any other suggestions or troubleshooting steps I can try? Someone suggested it might be a ground issue.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 5:49 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

The only sensor you haven't changed that is the most likely cause is the Turbine Speed Sensor. I cannot find a good diagram that show exactly were it is located. But here is a diagram that will give you a good idea. In the diagram it is labeled #22.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99exscortzx2turbspeedsensr_1.jpg

press CTRL + to zoom in...

I will also email it to you

.

-1
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
OZZX2

Thanks for the reply. If I send you my email address, can you email the diagram to me? Even when I enlarge it, it's too blurry to read.

Just send you an email.

Even though it gave a P0500 code, it could be the PO715 Turbine Speed Sensor?

This started happening a few days after I drove the car home with a broken belt tensioner. It didn't overheat since it was cold, but it ran the battery way down.

-1
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 6:38 PM
OZZX2

I took these pics from the location of your diagram.

Are one of these the turbine/input speed sensor?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX23_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX22_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554052_ZX21_2.jpg

+1
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 10:02 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

I am sorry for delay in getting back been very busy.

Anyway, I believe it is the Top Pic.

The bottom pic is the Transmission Range Selector Switch.

Not sure about the center pic.

.

Wednesday, July 28th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM
OZZX2

I swapped out the turbine/input speed sensor today and no change. I also tried another VSS and no change. I traced the wire and the middle pic goes to the oxygen sensor.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting? Seems like I lost the horn around the same time as the speedometer. Maybe a ground issue?

240 ohms @ VSS. 230 ohms @ dash (from what i've found, within proper range).

Hooked up multimeter/Ohm meter to the VSS wires at the cluster and drove it. It starts beeping faster (continuity) as you go faster (hall effect sensor).

Do you have a wiring diagram for the instrument cluster?

Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 5:36 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

I will email the Schematic.

.

Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 8:38 PM
OZZX2

Finally! This is the correct wiring diagram for my instrument cluster. Thanks. The one in my Haynes Manual doesn't match. Neither did the one from the ARRC database (or any i've found online).

The voltage at the instrument cluster for the VSS is showing 8.5 volts. Is this correct?

Friday, July 30th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

I found this. Not sure it will help. Haven't been able to find volts for the vss at the cluster, but shows Ohms in tests below.

TEST D: SPEEDOMETER/ODOMETER INACCURATE

Coupe

1.Turn ignition off. Connect scan tool and retrieve Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) following manufacturer's instructions. If no DTCs are present, go to next step. If DTCs are present, see appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE. Repair DTCs as necessary, then retest system.

2.Using scan tool, observe Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) output Parameter Identification (PID) while assistant drives vehicle over range of speeds on various road surfaces. If VSS PID varies smoothly with vehicle speed, go to next step. If VSS PID does not vary or is erratic, see appropriate SELF-DIAGNOSTICS article in ENGINE PERFORMANCE to diagnose VSS.

3.Remove and check OBDII 10-amp fuse in engine compartment fuse box. If fuse is okay, reinstall fuse and go to step 5 . If fuse is blown, go to next step.

4.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect all instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 1 (Green wire). See Fig. 7 . Resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, replace OBDII 10-amp fuse and go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

5.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 1 (Green wire). See Fig. 7 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

6.Turn ignition off. Disconnect Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) harness connector C132. Measure resistance of Blue wire between VSS harness connector and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 11. See Fig. 6 . Measure resistance of White/Black wire between VSS harness connector C132 and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 1. Resistance in both tests should be less than 5 ohms. If resistances are as specified, go to next step. If resistances are not as specified, repair open in White/Black or Blue wire. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

7.Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 1 (White/Black wire). Measured resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in White/Black wire.

8.Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Black/Yellow wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Black/Yellow wire between instrument cluster connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

9.Turn ignition off. Visually inspect instrument cluster printed circuit for damage, cracks or hot spots. If instrument cluster printed circuit is okay, replace speedometer. If instrument cluster printed circuit is damaged, replace printed circuit and gauge contact clips.

Sedan & Wagon

4.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect all instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Green wire). See Fig. 6 . Measured resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, replace OBDII 10-amp fuse and go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

5.Turn ignition off. Remove instrument cluster. See INSTRUMENT CLUSTER under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. Disconnect instrument cluster electrical connectors. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 12 (Green wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Green wire between instrument cluster harness connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

6.Turn ignition off. Disconnect Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) harness connector C132. Measure resistance of Blue wire between VSS harness connector and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminal No. 7. See Fig. 6 . Measure resistance of White/Black wire between VSS harness connector C132 and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 9. Resistance in both tests should be less than 5 ohms. If resistances are as specified, go to next step. If resistances are not as specified, repair open in White/Black or Blue wire. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

7.Measure resistance between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C253 terminal No. 9 (White/Black wire). Resistance should be more than 10 k/ohms. If measured resistance is more than 10 k/ohms, go to next step. If resistance is less than 10 k/ohms, repair short to ground in White/Black wire.

8.Turn ignition on. Measure voltage between ground and instrument cluster harness connector C252 terminals No. 8 and 4 (Black/Yellow wire). See Fig. 6 . Voltage should be more than 10 volts. If voltage is more than 10 volts, go to next step. If voltage is less than 10 volts, repair short to voltage in Black/Yellow wire between instrument cluster connector and fuse. See WIRING DIAGRAMS .

Fig 6

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99escortzx2clstrc252_1.jpg

Fig 7

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_99escortzx2clstrc253_7_1.jpg

.

Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 6:01 PM
OZZX2

Thanks. I'm still working on it. My a/c went out at the house and currently dealing with that. Also took a few days off. Fixed my horn problem though. Lost the ground. Ran a wire to the frame.

Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 AT 2:58 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC

Congrats on the horn fix.

Sorry for Home A/C problem especially this time of year.

.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 9:23 AM
K_NUKEM

A P0500 code is your wheel speed sensor, simple as that, which is actually I believe the 2nd picture you uploaded, here in Ontario it's a $60 part and like.4 hours at a mechanic, so like $15 or so, or do it yourself, not hard at all. And that is definately why your speedo does not work and in turn causing your odometer not to work

I don't know where everyone else is getting these crazy responses from, i've personally gone through this on my ZX2 and know first hand what it is though, hopefully you get it fixed, good luck

note: Or tough it out, pay attention to your RPMs or buy a GPS for an speedo and you save putting mileage on your car, keep the resale value lol

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:10 PM
OZZX2

Oh yea, I forgot to update this thread. I found the issue.

I pulled out the battery to charge it and a few weeks later the speedometer started acting up, then quit. The VSS blue wire is grounded about 4" down from the negative battery terminal on the cable. It must have slowly worked it's way out of the plug.

All the wiring diagrams said it was grounded "near starter motor".

Previously I replaced the VSS twice. Other people have found the issue when they lost a ground to the instrument cluster, or bad wire to the VSS or PCM. I was working with a few guys from Team ZX2 also.

The biggest reason i'm fixing it is I can't pass emissions inspection with the CEL on lol.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Tuesday, September 14th, 2010 AT 12:51 PM
OP_BOARD1984

I'm having the same problem as well, I was wondering if by chance what the problem was with the speedometer odometer, also did you ever have problems with your fog lights, as well as your cruise control, I would really appreciate the advice

Friday, April 11th, 2014 AT 3:10 PM

Related Instrument Cluster Gauge Odometer Not Working Questions

Recommended articles