1998 Ford Escort Tailpipe smoking

SDAWN
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Automatic

Everyday when I start my car it smokes from the tail pipe, it is white smoke. It doesn't smoke while I'm driving it but I have to start it about 15min before I leave everydayso it won't smoke when I am on the road. Yesterday I changed my oil and it put oil for cars with high miles, which mine does, along with some stuff from Lucas. I know a lot of things say if it is white then it is anti freeze getting in the head gasket but it doen't smell like anti freeze. Could I need a new head gasket?
Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 9:06 PM

MADMIKE1735
Sounds exactly like the head gasket let go. At this point it needs to be verified. I dont your mechanical ability, so before I try to explain how to diagnose it, I recommend bringing it to a trusted mechanic for a 2nd opinion. Once its established you need a head gasket, we can certainly walk you through the procedure, as long as you have the right tools, and some basic car knowledge.
Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 9:16 PM