1998 Ford Escort No spark

• 1 POST
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

Computer problem
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

I am working with a Ford Escort ZX2 and it died on the side of the road. We got it back to my house and I started testing the car for common problems. I tested the fuel pressure and it was not getting enough fuel to the rail so I replaced the pump and the filter and that problem was solved but still no start. We did a spark test and only one of the plugs was sparking so we replaced the wires and plugs and still only that position on the ignition coil was firing, (hwoever, that one spark plug fired well). I then tested the ingnition coil and it was bad so I replaced it and still only one of the plugs would fire. When I crank the engine, it sounds healthy but I can hear the one spark plug trying to start the engine and it makes that one cylinder cough. The plugs are wet with fuel and the air intake is working properly so I have run out of ideas of what it could be other than the computer or a sensor. What sensors could make this happen and is there a way to test the sensors and the computer before I go spend more money on something that is not going to make the engine start.

Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 4:40 PM

Try checking the crankshaft position sensor

Thursday, September 9th, 2010 AT 5:02 PM