1998 Ford Escort New Suspension?

• 1 POST
  • 1998 FORD ESCORT

Steering problem
1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 101549 miles

Hi I have a 1998 Ford Escort. I bought this car in april from someone and I am now the 4th owner. It drives fine but when I go to make turns it seems as if there is stress on the steering and it makes a weird humming noise only when I turn. Could this be a suspension problem or perhaps do I need to get my power steering flushed? It only makes that noise when I turn left or right, other than that it sounds fine. Thanks for the feedback!

Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 3:53 PM

• 680 POSTS

Is power steering fluid topped off? If you are standing still and turn the wheel does it still make the same noise or do you only hear it when driving? If it makes noise when driving only. Try this. Drive in a straight line and swerve left and right and see if you hear the noise louder left or right. If the noise you hear happens when standing still then I would suspect a noisy power steering pump.

Saturday, July 18th, 2009 AT 8:11 PM