• ams.iad
  • 1998 Ford Escort

1998 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100k+ miles

At the beginning of December 2008 I replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter in my car after it died a few weeks prior.
Everything seemed fine.
. Until it died again a couple weeks ago. Today I replaced the fuel pump, the fuel filter, and the strainer attached to the housing yet my pump just doesn't want to pump any fuel!
When I turn my ignition on my filter makes that fun "buzzing" noise letting me know that it is not getting any fuel and I can hear my pump kind of "clicking".
I'm not sure what else to do!
Please help!

Sunday, February 1st, 2009 AT 8:55 PM

• Bowtie Baby

The buzzing noise is usually your fuel pump itself. Turn the key to the run position and listen for the noise, the pump will usually run for 3 to 5 seconds and shut off if the car isnt started, if you start it the pump should continue to run. If its not running there is a lot of cars with electric pumps that have a fuel pump shut off switch usually mounted in the trunk on the side behind the panels, not sure if yours has 1 or not. The purpose for it is if you get into an accident the impact will automatically trigger the switch therfore shutting the pump off so it wont feed a possible fire. Try finding that and press the small red or yellow button to reset it. I had a ford probe and hit a big bump and it triggered the switch, Its worth a try, its easy and free to check it. If thats not the problem check the voltage to the pump and check the relay. And remember, a good ground is just as important as good power, they work together. Good luck, Rod

Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 1:52 AM