1995 Ford Escort Stuck in 5th gear

MDMONEY
  • 1995 FORD ESCORT
Was driving went to shift into 5th gear it went into 5th gear but then wouldnt come out of 5th gear I pulled over managed to make it back home in 5th gear parked turned the car off went back outside later was able to get it out of 5th gear decided to try to drive it again shifted fine thru 4th got stuck in 5th again went back home let it sit was able to get it out again but now all the gears are slipping what the hell's goin on?
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 11:11 AM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you please tell me if your model just an Escort, or GT or LX.
+1
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 10:01 PM
MDMONEY
It's LX and thanks you so much for responding
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 12:53 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Sorry you are having the problem with your car. I have attached the troubleshooting chart for the problems you are stating.

Will Not Shift Into One Gear, Shifts Into All Others Bent shift fork, Worn detent balls
Locked Into Gear, Cannot Shift Clutch adjustment, Worn detent balls

Slipping
Pressure springs worn or Release pressure plate
Oily, greasy or worn facings Clean or replace clutch disc
Incorrect clutch alignment Realign clutch assembly
Warped clutch disc or pressure plate Replace damaged components
Binding release levers or clutch pedal Lubricate and/or replace release components

Now you also have a clutch master and slave cylinder. These get wore out and loose fluid. They work like your brake master cylinder.

My suggestion is to first look at these two items and make sure they have plenty of fluid. See if there is fluid leaking around them. These would be my first item.

Then my next item would be the clutch is worn and needs replacing. I would take it to a few reputable shops and get an estimate and see what if they state the same.
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:36 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Also one other thing. It looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_recall2_1.jpg

Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 7:40 PM