1995 Ford Escort Fuel Pump replacement

SQUWERL
  • 1995 FORD ESCORT
I replaced the fuel pump today, the car is running now but shuts off spontaneously and acts like it is out of fuel still. What else could be the problem? Possibly a filter?
Sunday, November 9th, 2008 AT 5:20 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

Have you checked to see what your fuel pressure is? If you are not getting any then something may be turning your pump off.

You have a fuel pump relay that you can check.....I have attached that check for you. Remember that relays are not that much, if there is any doubt after the check, replace it.

OPERATION

The fuel pump relay controls fuel pump operation. The fuel pump relay is mounted under the center of the instrument panel between the panel and the floor. The fuel pump operates only when the engine is cranking or running. It does not operate when the engine is not running, even with the ignition switch turned "ON". During cranking, power from the ignition switch causes the fuel pump relay to close the feed circuit to the fuel pump. The Fuel Pump Switch will also close the feed circuit to the fuel pump Whenever air flow is detected.

Checking the fuel pump relay

Key "OFF".
Remove the fuel pump relay.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_23.gif

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_21.gif

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_30.jpg

Apply 12 volts across terminals "C" and "B", while measuring the resistance between terminals "A" and "C" on the fuel pump relay.
You should obtain a reading of less than 5 ohms.
Remove the voltage from terminals "C" and "B".
Measure resistance between the terminals "A" and "C".
You should obtain a reading of greater than 10,000 ohms.
Apply 12 volts across terminals "E" and "F" while measuring the resistance between terminals "A" and "C" on the fuel pump relay connector.
Remove the voltage from terminals "E" and "F".
Are the resistance readings OK?
YES -- Go to FA7. See: FA7 - Check Fuel Pump Relay Ground
NO -- Replace the fuel pump relay.

I would definitely change the filter.

You also have an inertia fuel shutoff switch. I can provide that data to check also but need to know if you have a hatchback, sedan or wagon.

Next, when it is doing this pull a plug wire and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal!!! If there is no spark, then it is electrical. If you are getting good spark then we need to continue to look towards a fuel problem.

Last, please go to Auto Zone or O'Reilly's and for free they can pull the codes to the car. Most important. Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for free also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Let me know if you want more based on the above.
+2
Sunday, November 9th, 2008 AT 6:02 PM