1994 Ford Escort How to change an alternator on a Ford esco

LITTLEHANDY
  • 1994 FORD ESCORT
1994 Ford Escort 4 cyl Automatic

My alternator is dead and I'm planning to replace is myself. Please can you take me to the process of removing and replacing it? What is the main challenge?
Thank for the help
Sunday, September 19th, 2010 AT 6:47 AM

The biggest problem you will have is room to work. Here are directions I was able to find for you. Let me know if they help or if you have other questions.

NOTE: There are two seperate sets of directions based on engine size.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Unfasten the nut that attaches the wiring connector to the alternator. Remove the wire.
Remove field terminal wiring connector.
Unfasten the upper mounting bolt that attaches the alternator to the bracket.
Loosen the lower alternator mounting bolt, pivot the alternator forward and remove the drive belt.
Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
Unfasten the right-hand front fender splash shield retainers and remove the shield.
While supporting the alternator with one hand, remove the lower alternator mounting bolt.
Remove the alternator from the car.

To install:

Position the alternator assembly onto the vehicle and install the alternator lower mounting bolt. Tighten the lower bolt until it is snug.
Lower the car, then install and finger-tighten the upper mounting bolt that attaches the alternator to the bracket.
Install the alternator drive belt and adjust the drive belt tension.
Tighten the upper mounting bolt to 14-19 ft. Lbs. (19-25 Nm).
Tighten the alternator lower mounting bolt to 27-38 ft. Lbs. (37-52 Nm).
Connect the alternator wiring and tighten the retaining nut.
Connect the negative battery cable.

1.9L Engines
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the drive belt.
Remove the two snap-in type wiring connectors from the alternator.
Unfasten the nut that attaches the wiring connector to the alternator. Remove the connector.
If equipped with A/C, unfasten the accumulator tube support clip retainer(s) and remove the clip from the bracket.
Remove the upper and lower alternator mounting bolts.
Unfasten the power steering pump reservoir bolts and set the reservoir to one side and remove the alternator assembly.

If equipped with A/C, unfasten the accumulator tube support clip retainer(s) and remove the clip from the bracket

To install:

Place the alternator in position and finger-tighten the mounting bolts.
Place the power steering pump reservoir in position and tighten the retaining bolts.
Tighten the alternator lower bolt to 29-40 ft. Lbs. (40-55 Nm) and the upper bolt to 14-22 ft. Lbs. (20-30 Nm).
If equipped with A/C, install the accumulator tube support clip and tighten the retainer(s).
Engage the two snap-in type wiring connectors to the alternator.
Engage the wiring connector and tighten the nut.
Install the drive belt.
Connect the negative battery cable.

When the battery is disconnected it may cause some abnormal drive symptoms until the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles (16 km) or more for the PCM to relearn its strategy.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the drive belt.
Disconnect the power steering hose bracket from the alternator bracket.
Unfasten the alternator mounting bolts and position the assembly so that you can access the electrical connections.
Unplug the alternator electrical connectors.
Unfasten the battery positive cable retaining nut, then remove the washer and cable.
Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

To install:

Connect the battery positive cable, then install the nut and the washer. Tighten the nut to 7-9 ft. Lbs. (9-12 Nm).
Attach the alternator electrical connections.
Place the alternator in position and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the upper mounting bolt to 29-40 ft. Lbs. (40-55 Nm) and the lower mounting bolt to 15-22 ft. Lbs. (20-30 Nm).
Connect the power steering hose bracket to the alternator bracket.
Install the drive belt.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the drive belt.
Remove the coolant tank reservoir.
Unfasten the alternator mounting bolts and position the assembly so that you can access the battery positive cable-to-alternator retaining nut.
Remove the alternator from the vehicle.

To install:

Connect the battery positive cable, then install the washer and nut. Tighten the nut to 5-7 ft. Lbs. (7-9 Nm).
Place the alternator in position and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 29-40 ft. Lbs. (40-55 Nm).
Install the coolant tank reservoir.
Install the drive belt.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Back to Top
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 11:17 PM