FAULTY FUEL GAUGE

1994 Ford Escort

Blackwill

April, 1, 2009 AT 5:54 PM

1994 Ford Escort 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 116000 miles

Just bought the Escort used, as is, and noticed the fuel gauge is faulty. Gauge reads a bit past Full 90% of the time, but does fluctuate to Empty and back every so often, so I know the needle is not stuck on the stop pin. The question is: What is the best way to repair/replace the fuel gauge, and can it be done without removing the instrument panel?

Thanks in advance for the help!

bluelightnin6

April, 1, 2009 AT 9:17 PM

Suspect faulty fuel gauge sending unit. The sending unit, located in the fuel tank, is what tells the fuel gauge where the needle should be at.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Blackwill

April, 1, 2009 AT 9:26 PM

Thanks! I guess that's a bit more involved than yanking out the instrument panel.

bluelightnin6

April, 1, 2009 AT 9:28 PM

Yeah. If it were a newer model vehicle with the hi tech digital gadgets it would probably be simply replacing the instrument panel. But then again that would cost a lot more as well.

Blackwill

April, 1, 2009 AT 11:05 PM

I'm going to assume that a sensor inside the fuel tank is not something for a " do-it-yourself" project, then? Probably best to send the bad boy out for this repair?

bluelightnin6

April, 1, 2009 AT 11:10 PM

Unless you have experiencing with this type of work then, yes, I do suggest sending to a reputable repair shop. Anytime you are working around gasoling or any flammable liquid it makes the job that much more dangerous. So if you do not have the proper training then you could end up doing more damage to the vehicle and even worse you may harm yourself.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006