1991 Ford Escort Will not shut off when ignition is turned

WEWAND
  • 1991 FORD ESCORT
1991 Ford Escort

My car will continue to run after I remove the key from the ignition. I am able to put the car into drive and drive it except for the steering locked up. I have to pull the 15A eng fuse under the dash and the remove the neg battery terminal. I replaced the electronic portion of the ignition switch 6 months ago and have had no problems since.
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 4:32 PM

First pull the switch off again and look at the flat screwdriver-like rod that turns the seitch. If it is broken off, it won't move the switch. You can turn the switch with a screwdriver to operate it.

If the flat rod is ok, pop the switch apart to inspect the contacts. Two things can happen when they overheat. There are four plastic pins that move up and down to operate the contacts. Those pins ride on a wheel with raised spots. Sometimes the contacts weld themselves together. Their springiness is all that normally separates them when the pin retracts. Sometimes the overheated contact causes one of the pins to melt and it won't push the contact finger far enough to turn a contact on.

Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
WEWAND
Followed up with your advice. One pin was overheated and is causing it not to shut off. Thank you!
Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 5:45 PM
What you might get away with is folding over a small strip of sandpaper to slide under the contact to clean it up. Then, cut off the melted part of the pin and glue it back on with some RTV gasket sealer. That will let you build up the missing 1/16" or so of the pin to make it long enough.

I'm more familiar with Chrysler's products, but I'm sure Ford has the same stuff at their parts department. The black stuff stays more rubbery. The gray stuff gets harder and sticks to anything. Of course, you could use a pin out of the old switch if you still have it.

If you've added any electrical accessories, they might be overloading the switch contact. A simple way to prevent this from happening again is to use that contact to operate a relay, and use the relay contacts to power the circuit.

Sunday, March 7th, 2010 AT 6:05 PM