1991 Ford Escort Will crank but wont fire.

09EMDOG
  • 1991 FORD ESCORT
1991 Ford Escort 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 77k miles

Problems: Radio light stays on when key turned. So I disconnected fuse for radio. Dome lights and running lights dont work but I think that is a fuse. Now I turn the key and it will crank but it seems like its not getting fuel and or spark.

Things I did: the car has a good battery in it had it tested, also new plugs and wires and battery terminals. Also turned the fuel shutoff switch on and then off to reset it just in case it was on.
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 11:10 AM

Hi 09emdog, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Do below and get back with some testing results-let me know

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 11:34 AM
09EMDOG
We have zero spark we switched coil packs and computer and ignition module. We checked alot of relays before it was blowing the hundred amp breaker on it. We have fuel I think.
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 3:46 PM
Inspect and test the crankshaft position sensor-
Sunday, October 24th, 2010 AT 5:18 PM