2004 Ford Escape Rear Drums

EXLTV
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
Brakes problem
2004 Ford Escape Four Wheel Drive

how do you remove the rear drums from a 4x4 Ford Escape I removed the center nut and tapped on the drum it's not moveing
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 8:02 AM

MMPRINCE4000
If 4 wheel drive and equipped with CV axles in rear, DO NOT remove the large nut in center of drum, that is CV joint axle bolt.

Inspect brake drum, Ford sometimes will use a thin retaing clip on lugs, they are thin spring steel retainers. Pry them off, you do not need to re-use, they are used at assembly to keep drum on during assembly.

Drums can sometimes rust on shaft and can be difficult to get off. Spray some PB blaster into lug hole and axle shaft piolt.

If drums still will not come off, remove adjuster nut rubber sealer behind drum, use screwdriver to rotate adjusting screw "up". This will retract shoes and drum should come off.
-1
Monday, May 25th, 2009 AT 8:20 AM
EXLTV
I removed the retaing clips and back off the adjuster before trying to remove the drum it still looks like you have to remove the center nut to get the drum off
+1
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 8:10 AM
MMPRINCE4000
OK, I will take your word for it, But generally the large center nut (30-36mm) retains CV axle and you should not have to remove it for drum service.
+1
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 6:01 AM
MMPRINCE4000
This is only pic. I could find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_ford_escape_1.jpg

+1
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 6:24 AM
EXLTV
You were right the center nut did not have to come off, Had my parts man show me a new drum and after cleaning the corrosion from the area were the drum and flange meet, Put some more PB blaster on it and hit it with a hammer and pryed some more it broke loose.
Thanks for the help
+1
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 11:19 AM
MMPRINCE4000
Great news and thanks for the reputation points.

That PB Blaster is great stuff, isn't it. Mmprince4000 (Paul).
+1
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 6:22 AM