2003 Ford Escape O2 Sensor Check Engine Light

TURBOPHEIN
  • 2003 FORD ESCAPE
I am a avid jeep enthusiast and do all my own mechanic work on everything, anyway my aunt asked me to change her oil pan gasket on her ford escape, it was leaking at only 50k miles, the dealer wanted alot of money, so I said yes. Boy do I regret it. Its been nothing but a pain, removing the exhaust anyway, the gasket was a breeze. The job is done everything is good, so when I give her car back I told her, the air filter was really dirty, you should buy a new one, go to autozone, they might even put it in for you, so she did and they did put it in for her. One her way home the CEL came on, she called me and I told her to go back to autozone to get it diagnosed, came back as a o2 sensor error, I had her reset it, and it came back next day. Now my"NOT blood" uncle is yelling and screaming at her, saying she should have gone to the dealer. I feel terrible, but all I did was unplug the dam sensor and plug it back in, it disconnected easily and everything.

possible reasons:

not disconnecting the battery (didn't really think it was necessary for the gasket change)

the kid at autozone installing air filter (i checked everything, MAS is connected, filter is in correctly and it all looks fine)

any help would be appreciated, I am going to disconnect battery tomorrow and also check for a vacuum leak.
Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 11:33 PM

ZACKMAN
Did you get it figured out? I need to know the exact code that your aunt got.
Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 12:37 AM
TURBOPHEIN
Well my uncle won't let me touch the car anymore! Won't let me reset the battery? Nothing. So my aunt is not going to tell him I am still working on it, when I try to fix this problem.

But anyway, this is what autozone printed for her:

the code is po141 o2 sensor 2, bank 1

ho2s 12 heater condition

cpu recognized a failure in the circuit

fixes:

o2 sensor replacement

bad connection

check circuit fuse
+1
Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 10:42 AM
ZACKMAN
P0141 OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description
O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

What does that mean?

This code means that the heated circuit in the oxygen sensor on bank 2 decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The ECM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141. See also: P0135 (Bank 1, Sensor 1).

Symptoms

You will likely notice poor fuel economy the illumination of the Check Engine Light.

Causes

A code P0141 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* open or short to ground in the wiring harness
* O2 heater circuit wiring high resistance
* O2 heater element resistance is high
* Internal short or open in the heater element

Note: Typically a failed catalytic converter does not cause this code. You're more likely to see a P0420 code for a failed converter.

Possible Solutions

* Replace oxygen sensor (cannot repair open or short that occurs internally to sensor)
* Repair short or open or high resistance in wiring harness or harness connectors

Bank 1 sensor 2 is the O2 sensor after the cat connected to cylinder #1. Based on the description and the work that you did, it very possible that when you re-installed the exhaust pipe, you either forgot to connect the O2 sensor to the connector, or you pulled the connector too far and it broke, so no continuity, or it just so happened that the sensor went bad. I believe your case is either scenario 1 or 2, unlikely 3. If after to check, you need to replace the sensor, make sure that you get the sensor for after the cat for bank 1 (cylinder 1). They look identical, but they are not the same.
+2
Sunday, December 28th, 2008 AT 6:31 PM