2002 Ford Escape I have spark & fuel but won't start

LARRYE
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
I changed 2 direct coils that had no spark with 2 known good coils that produce spark. I checked the remaining coils and all 6 produce a good spark now. I changed the spark plugs too but it still will not start. It does turn over and I know that I'm getting fuel b/c I pulled two of the plugs back out and they had fuel on them. I can also smell the raw fuel when I try to start it.
Now a little back ground on this Escape. It is my sister-in-laws vehicle and it had been running very rough. She could not get it to go above 45 mph and the RPMs were running 5K. It also used about a half tank of gas in less than 50 miles and finally stopped running and would not start after that. I assume that it was running on less than 6 cyl. When I pulled the old plugs they all appeared to be fouled and the #2 and #5 plugs were eroded very badly. I thought this was going to be an easy fix! Thanks for your help.
Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 8:17 PM

RACEFAN966
You have fuel but no spark? What have you checked? What have you replaced? Do you have a digital multi meter to test a few things? I am wanting to test the cam and crank shaft sensors. Get back to me with as much info as you can so I can be of better help. Thanks
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
LARRYE
This is to "racefan966".
Like I stated in my post, I have fuel and spark with 4 of the 6 coils. I replaced the 2 bad coils with 2 known good coils and all 6 spark plugs are now new. It still will not start. I tested all 6 coils with a test plug and all six coils produced what looks to be a good spark. So right now I have 6 good coils with 6 new spark plugs and fuel, but it still will not start. It does turn over, but it doesn't sound like any cyl. Are trying to fire.
Yes I have a digital multimeter. Thanks
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok so lets check the crankshaft sensor. The crankshaft sensor is on the front of the engine. What you need to do is unplug it and check the resistance should be 5 ohms or less (do this on the connector, see pic below). Now I need you to use the pic below to check for voltage at the CKP- circuit. To do this with the sensor unpluged hook up you meter to the CKP- term on the plug and turn the key on engine off and check voltage. Should be 1 to 2 volts. Let me know what you find here and we will take it from there.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_144.jpg

Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 10:30 AM
LARRYE
I have 1.5 v at the plug but more than 5 ohms on the CKP. On the auto scale I show.356 K ohms, but on the manual scale for just ohms I get no continuity. Am I safe to assume that the CKP sensor is bad? What about the two coils that didn't show any spark? Thanks
Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 2:11 PM
LARRYE
Was the info I provided sufficient or do you need more?
I will be looking often for your reply as I really need to get this car fixed. Please respond as soon as you can. Thanks
Larrye
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 8:32 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok as for the ohms if it is out of spec then yes it should be bad. I am not there so I must assume that the test was done correctly. As for the coils that don't fire this sensor tells the computer when to fire the each cylinder as the crankshaft turns it see's the crank movement (there is a wheel on the crankshaft for it to read) and then the computer fires the coil at the correct time. Now if the crankshaft sensor fails this won't happen so you may get spark at the wrong time or not at all. So with the info given I would say the sensor is bad. Before replacing it I would check the ohms of the new one to the old one because once you plug it in it is non returnable. Let me know how it goes.
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 10:09 AM
LARRYE
Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try and let you know what I find out.
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
RACEFAN966
OK sounds good. Just get back to me on how it goes. If we need to look further then we will.
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 10:29 AM
LARRYE
OK, I changed the CKP sensor and it still will not start.
What's next?
Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 3:28 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok check if you have spark and what cylinders do not have spark to. Now I would also like you to check the ohms of the wires to any plugs that you don't have spark to. Get back to me with ohms and length of wire. Let me know what you find. Have you checked fuel pressure to see what it is?
-1
Saturday, October 24th, 2009 AT 9:03 AM