2001 Ford Escape Slipping

GAGABUTTON
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
My transmission seems to be slipping. It started out at lower speeds, particularly when taking off, but then over a period of a couple of days, while driving on the freeway it seems to slip in and out of gear. Do I need a whole new transmission?
Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 5:25 PM

See my profile. I am not a paid mechanic, nor paid here. I am a member, like you (answering alot of Jeep questions, None to fix at present) Thought I might try to help you.

I am sort of a Jeep CJ Expert, but maintain or repair (or help to) family and friends vehicles.

I'm the guy (everyone flocks to) who has purchased lots of tools and manuals. Instead of buying Alcoholic Beverages!

My wife has a 2001 Escape.

Maybe a few reminders that may help you!

1) Have you checked your fluid level while in PARK and Idle?

2) Are you using correct fluids, several listed, dependent on your type transaxle system you have.

3) Are you performing maintence at recommended TIMES or MILAGE (30,000 miles or 24 months for Transaxle and Differentials)

ALL OF THIS INFORMATION WAS OBTAINED FROM MY "HAYNES" 2001-2007 FORD ESCAPE MANUAL

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A MANUAL, YOU REALLY NEED ONE.

MANUAL SHOWS YOU EVERYTHIING YOU NEED TO MAINTAIN AND DO ALOT OF, NOT ONLY MINOR REPAIRS, BUT ALOT OF MAJOR ONES TOO!

COST IS ABOUT $30 AT MAJOR AUTO STORES.

READ THRU THE ENTIRE MANUAL TO LEARN HOW MUCH IT CAN HELP YOU. OR THE FELLER WHO MIGHT KNOW MORE THAN YOU (THAT STOPS TO HELP WHEN YOU ARE STRANDED ON THE HIGHWAY), AND YOU HAND HIM THE MANUAL (KEPT IN YOUR RIG) HE WILL BE ABLE TO ASSIST MORE!

HOPE I AM NOT PREACHING!

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU IN SOME WAY!

RESPOND?

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 10:54 PM